Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2021, 06:14 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimS_256 Quote
I always enjoy pictures of the Dolomites. Since this was posted in the Critique forum I'll agree with what Fdooch said. I would crop to the left so the person is larger. Regardless it's a beautiful image, thanks for posting.
you are right, I have some other pictures of the spot and will try to crop on the left so that the image is a bit more balanced. Glad that you liked the image nonethe less.

11-28-2021, 08:34 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vijaykishan Quote
Thanks dneira, the focal length as far as I recall was/is 24mm
I figured. Just trying to get an idea of how far away you were standing haha
11-30-2021, 01:47 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dneira29 Quote
I figured. Just trying to get an idea of how far away you were standing haha
The water body, if you'd like to know, was a little larger than a puddle with 15 photographers camped around it ! the lady was just a few meters away and the mountains were quire far off, that is one of the reason the mountains look smaller. The wide angle lens brings in a new spin (albeit in reverse) to the old adage "making mountains out of mole hills"
11-30-2021, 10:10 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vijaykishan Quote
The water body, if you'd like to know, was a little larger than a puddle with 15 photographers camped around it ! the lady was just a few meters away and the mountains were quire far off, that is one of the reason the mountains look smaller. The wide angle lens brings in a new spin (albeit in reverse) to the old adage "making mountains out of mole hills"
Hahah thanks for the answer. Nicely done!

12-01-2021, 07:08 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hahah thanks for the answer. Nicely done!
Also I think its pretty that if you look at the thumbnail of this it almost looks like a night shot.
12-01-2021, 07:24 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Also I think its pretty that if you look at the thumbnail of this it almost looks like a night shot.
Funny, that you say that. I just noticed the same - odd
12-01-2021, 11:32 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fdooch Quote
I'm not sure if the presence of a person improves the photo.
Interesting, there are definitely two schools of thought with landscape photos. I personally feel that the absence of a human presence puts things too much in the camp of "seen it" landscapes, where it's been done so many times it's hard to create anything new. A human presence anchors it more in the personal expression and experience of the photographer.

12-01-2021, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
Interesting, there are definitely two schools of thought with landscape photos. I personally feel that the absence of a human presence puts things too much in the camp of "seen it" landscapes, where it's been done so many times it's hard to create anything new. A human presence anchors it more in the personal expression and experience of the photographer.
For me, "I saw" is much better than "I was here." And why do you give up personal expression to landscapes? As for the presence of a person, I spoke about the ratio of scales above.
12-02-2021, 02:22 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
For me, "I saw" is much better than "I was here." And why do you give up personal expression to landscapes? As for the presence of a person, I spoke about the ratio of scales above.
IMHO both of you are right, human presence adds to certain landscapes, in that it helps to express scale, grandiose-ness and the feeling of being there. At the same time, to express scale, the human has to be present in such a way to promote the effect that was just mentioned. If the presence hinders such an effect of feeling that the presence becomes an impediment or might misrepresent the grandiose-ness of the landscape, which in this particular case, might be true (as Fdooch succinctly put). The landscape itself was clicked with a wide-angle lens and the person was near to the said lens thus the skewed perspective of mountains vs person.

That said, unfortunately the physical restrictions of the place, did not allow for more options :-/ . Thanks to both of you for the robust comments - appreciated.
12-02-2021, 09:57 AM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No, I mean "seen it" as in, I've seen similar photos before. It's really hard to take a photo that hasn't already been taken with most landscapes.
12-02-2021, 01:12 PM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

That is wonderful.
12-03-2021, 02:50 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
No, I mean "seen it" as in, I've seen similar photos before. It's really hard to take a photo that hasn't already been taken with most landscapes.
Ah, I get it now AgentL - it is so common that it's on the way to Kitsch

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
That is wonderful.
Thank you bdery - glad you like it.
12-03-2021, 03:49 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The photographer shares with the viewer the feeling that made him take the picture.
And you answer - boring, I have already seen it. It is one thing to criticize technical problems,
and another to the very desire to take up landscape photography.
12-05-2021, 11:14 AM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The photographer shares with the viewer the feeling that made him take the picture.
And you answer - boring, I have already seen it. It is one thing to criticize technical problems,
and another to the very desire to take up landscape photography.
I'm not personally trying to answer with the jaded view of a photo-internet-junkie, I'm just saying it's hard to make a landscape photo that is new, and a human element, while not part of the grand landscape tradition (which has become rather derivative and boring, honestly), can make a photo more dynamic. If a photographer chooses to put a person in a photo, I think replying something like "too bad there's a person in it" is short-sighted and clinging to a style that's been done to death. That's all.
12-05-2021, 03:00 PM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it is a beautiful image. The presence of a person doesn't damage the impression the image leaves with you.