Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2021, 11:35 AM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Adobe Style, 1/3
Lens: DA SMC 35mm Limited f2.8 Macro Camera: K-5 Photo Location: New Mexico ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F19 

Posting a series of three neighborhood/architecture pictures, in order from most straightforward to slightly more detail-focused. This is the first.

I'd love to get feedback on how you might have framed differently, processed differently, or prioritized exposure settings. Or even if you think other lighting conditions might have suited better!

Here I set a very narrow aperture, because I had plenty of light, wanted sharpness from the fence all the way back through the clouds, and didn't mind the spectre of diffraction.

I'm really happy with this. What do you think?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
11-23-2021, 12:58 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you live in a pretty neighborhood! I'm happy with your tonalities here. I would have taken more care with correcting the vertical wall lines, though. I'm a bit anal about that issue. It might not matter so much in the Taos Pueblo, but this looks like modern development that's built to be true and square. For me, the photo is better when cropped on the left, between the lamp and the window.
11-23-2021, 10:01 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
You’re right, that crop is much cleaner; thank you!

I’ll play with the vertical line/perspective corrections too, but I don’t dislike it like this…there are definitely a lot of wonky alignments here!
11-23-2021, 10:22 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do like the way that chimney points up towards the open sky.

11-23-2021, 10:49 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
It kinda gives it some kind of nearly 'camelot' aspirations...
11-24-2021, 12:38 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Now we’re talking. !! Great composition. The strong light emphasizes that beautiful volumes and the tonality helps further. The framing is nice, maybe a tiny bit too close, but I like it. The fence gets its attention without stealing the show and I would say it is a great shot to be part of the series, contributing to the story of the neighborhood.
11-24-2021, 10:58 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
Now we’re talking. !! Great composition. The strong light emphasizes that beautiful volumes and the tonality helps further. The framing is nice, maybe a tiny bit too close, but I like it. The fence gets its attention without stealing the show and I would say it is a great shot to be part of the series, contributing to the story of the neighborhood.
Thanks, Michail!

It's interesting...framing tighter by cropping out the left, as per Wheatridger's suggestion, actually makes the whole frame FEEL less tight because the architecture on the left is more open