Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2021, 11:10 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Adobe Style, 3/3
Lens: DA SMC 35mm Limited f2.8 Macro Camera: K-5 Photo Location: New Mexico ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/2000s Aperture: F3.5 

Posting a series of three neighborhood/architecture pictures, in order from most straightforward to more detail-focused. This is the last.

I'd love to get feedback on how you might have framed differently, processed differently, or prioritized exposure settings. Or even if you think other lighting conditions might have suited better!

This one goes bold, departing from the more consistent style of the last two, much more focus on a single detail. The building is right next door to the house in the previous two, and it looks like an old church converted to an art gallery or bed and breakfast...but turns out to be a brand new conference center? Interesting!

This is also the only one of the three that I actually like a little better in color...but in service to the series, I think BW still works well!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
11-24-2021, 01:48 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here's a crop I think I prefer:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
11-24-2021, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #3
Forum Member

Love the adobe and cloud textures play off each other here in b/w. Might just be my taste, but I'd at least look at a little crop+rotation so that the opening is more square to the frame.
11-25-2021, 05:30 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I like it a lot. My preference goes to the first version (2/3rd)
This speaks to me more than you other shots in the series, because of its sheer simplicity/minimalism.
Thanks for sharing!

11-25-2021, 02:05 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, Will and Victor.

I think I agree about the minimalism…but I also think you can go get more abstract/minimalist in a photo that’s part of a series that can provide the context you’ve removed in the process of minimalizing.

Really over photographed subjects (ahem, like Adobe style buildings in New Mexico) are an exception for that since most people will already have the context sitting in their memory banks…
11-25-2021, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I really like the first version, the effect is sufficiently abstract. Your tones - and the tonal range - are terrific!
11-25-2021, 06:45 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
I really like the first version, the effect is sufficiently abstract. Your tones - and the tonal range - are terrific!
Thank you, Stiff!

I'm already coming back around to preferring the first version, too...