Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2021, 07:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Stability
Lens: DA SMC 35mm Limited f2.8 Macro Camera: K-5 Photo Location: New Mexico / Four Corners ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F13.5 

I like the feeling here, but I don't want to say too much about what I was thinking or seeing because I want to see what this conveys to you.

What comes across to you? How could I have framed, exposed, or processed differently to tell more strongly the story that you saw?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
11-26-2021, 03:22 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Well, I'm intrigued. The picture does have an appeal but might be liittle "incomplete" or "empty" in the top part.
Perhaps a 2/3 or wider crop might work better ?
Or, if that is an option, I would be interested to see the same shot taken from closer to the ground
11-26-2021, 04:55 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It seems like nothing special, but I like it
11-26-2021, 10:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here's a Flickr album with more context, both from the shot and the surroundings.

For me it's really striking, the stark desert emptiness, with all these transport media coming together and crossing in this one random spot: dirt roads, paved highway, and power lines shooting off in all directions.

I left more sky in the crop above because I wanted to emphasize that empty, nearly purposeful loneliness. Dunno if it worked or not :-D

11-26-2021, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #5
5ks
Pentaxian

I like the kind-of-simplicity of the scene. I would have - most probaly - cropped out most of the blue sky, so the image would be 3 : 2 or even wider. Not bad this way either.
11-26-2021, 11:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 5ks Quote
I like the kind-of-simplicity of the scene. I would have - most probaly - cropped out most of the blue sky, so the image would be 3 : 2 or even wider. Not bad this way either.
I like that i can test the vertical crop here just by slowly scrolling the browser down :-D :-D
11-26-2021, 12:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would crop some out of the foreground. ATM the focal point of the image is dead middle. Drop it down towards the 1/3 from horizontal.

11-26-2021, 06:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
I would crop some out of the foreground. ATM the focal point of the image is dead middle. Drop it down towards the 1/3 from horizontal.
Thank you for the comment, and your feeling of the framing!

For me, the 'stability' or permanence of those powerlines as a rooted part of the bare landscape is part of what I was trying to catch.

I think centering that element underlines the stability, and I think cutting out some sky would leave it 'rooted'...but chopping out too much foreground, in my impression, makes it somehow feel more precarious because there is less landscape that it is tied to.
11-26-2021, 11:05 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I looked long at the image before reading the comments. I decided the wide expanse of sky at the top and the wide foreground of short sage brush makes for a stark "surprise" of these intensely bold and simple poles and cross-bars just suddenly standing there so imposingly right in the middle of the desert.
Like it.
Angky.
11-27-2021, 12:14 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
I looked long at the image before reading the comments. I decided the wide expanse of sky at the top and the wide foreground of short sage brush makes for a stark "surprise" of these intensely bold and simple poles and cross-bars just suddenly standing there so imposingly right in the middle of the desert.
Like it.
Angky.
Thank you for taking the time to form, and share, your opinion!
11-27-2021, 02:14 PM   #11

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WileyB Quote
I like the feeling here, but I don't want to say too much about what I was thinking or seeing because I want to see what this conveys to you.

What comes across to you? How could I have framed, exposed, or processed differently to tell more strongly the story that you saw?
Hi Wiley, thank you for this interesting post. What is the effect of a modern infrastructure in a natural landscape? Sometimes, the effect can be devastating, but this appears to be not the case. It is surprising to see theese infrastructures in a desert: but they appear to be well inserted in the landscape, not properly extraneous. Concerning your photo, and considering the effect that you want to convey, I believe that it is very well done and effective, but I perhaps a more wide angle perspective could allow to increase the effect. Indeed, in your flickr album I have found another shot of the same subject which exactly has these more wide angle characteristics (the one in which three electric towers are visible). Best regards, Maurizio .
11-27-2021, 05:35 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Maurizio,
Thank you for taking the time to consider, and to reply.
You’re right, I think different framing and even different directions at this location really change the balance shown in the picture, between landscape and infrastructure!
Wiley
12-01-2021, 08:02 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

If this were to be on Rorschach's book or the picture in the abstract section, one would ponder on the following

- Old and new powers - on the lines of - transfer of power under the electric blue sky - etc (I cant count the number of puns in that LOL)

- Towers of old and modern era

The sky could be cropped a bit as well
12-01-2021, 11:32 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vijaykishan Quote
The sky could be cropped a bit as well
In the end, I think that's right. Cropping the blue down just a bit would probably strengthen the image...maybe so the second power cable from the top crosses out of frame near the upper left corner?
12-02-2021, 01:55 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WileyB Quote
In the end, I think that's right. Cropping the blue down just a bit would probably strengthen the image...maybe so the second power cable from the top crosses out of frame near the upper left corner?
Exactamo ! if you can, maybe try to increase the contrast between the cables and the sky (I really dont know how to ahieve that BTW, sorry) . All the best.