Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2021, 05:26 AM - 2 Likes   #1

Photos: Gallery
Life on an old beech trunk.
Lens: Pentax FA 20mm f 2.8 Camera: Pentax K1 Photo Location: Monti della Laga, Abruzzo, IT 

Sometimes I feel that a photo is far from perfect, but however capable to convey the intended message. I would like to ask you if this is the case here. I intended to show the exuberance of the vegetable life completely covering this old beech trunk. I now feel that the background is a bit too busy, however the vivacity of green life seems (to me) quite well represented. What is your opinion?

I also upload here a second shot of the same subject, which I initially preferred.

Last edited by maucard; 11-27-2021 at 06:41 AM.
11-27-2021, 07:48 AM   #2
Pentaxian

interesting place
11-27-2021, 08:45 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Tough! Both are really nice, vibrant greens and lovely setting.

I like the glow of the background much better in the second picture and I think it adds much to the image.

But, I like the form of the beech subject better in the first. Flows more and draws the eye along its path better. And the plants at the base really seem to pop and dance!

Last edited by WileyB; 11-27-2021 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Remove Unfinished sentence!
11-27-2021, 10:37 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Both are the kind of shots I really like.
And if the background seems too busy to suit a particular discipline of photography, well--so what?
The image conveys the message of the beech tree as a member of that forest community.
Angky.

11-27-2021, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #5
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like both shots. I don't think the backgrounds are too busy. It shows the environment.
11-27-2021, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #6

The backgrounds in both images are pretty busy. However, the main subject captures the eye initially. The background in the 2nd image is uniform in type and texture, so it seems less of a distraction than the background in the 1st image. I do like the subject and both images are very nice.
11-27-2021, 06:16 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

I can smell this picture. Very nice!

11-28-2021, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Very nice shots, I do prefer the second one. Have you tried a square crop to remove the right part of the picture (branch laying on the ground, mossy Hill)? That could simplify it and re-center it o' your main subject
11-28-2021, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

I would not say that the background is to busy. These photographs both make me feel like I am there. I love the colors and textures. It is almost as if you could reach out with your hand and feel the soft cool moss.
11-28-2021, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #10
Lev
Veteran Member

I think this is a place where you can spend whole day no problem!
Great!
11-28-2021, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Martin Stu Quote
interesting place
Thank you for your kind comment.

---------- Post added 28-11-21 at 10:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by WileyB Quote
Tough! Both are really nice, vibrant greens and lovely setting.

I like the glow of the background much better in the second picture and I think it adds much to the image.

But, I like the form of the beech subject better in the first. Flows more and draws the eye along its path better. And the plants at the base really seem to pop and dance!
Thank you for the thoughtful comment, much appreciated. I agree with you concerning the best characteristics of the two photos. And I like si much the conclusion of your comment, where you noticed that the plants at the base of the tree 'pop and dance'! Warm regards, Maurizio

---------- Post added 28-11-21 at 10:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Both are the kind of shots I really like.
And if the background seems too busy to suit a particular discipline of photography, well--so what?
The image conveys the message of the beech tree as a member of that forest community.
Angky.
Dear Angky, thank you for your kind comment. You are right, we should not be too much formulaic (I hope this word is appropriate, my English is limited), I feel we should mainly judge a photo by its capability to convey a message. Warm regards, Maurizio

---------- Post added 28-11-21 at 10:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
I like both shots. I don't think the backgrounds are too busy. It shows the environment.
Thank you for the kind and encouraging comment! Best regards, Maurizio

---------- Post added 28-11-21 at 11:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ausable Quote
The backgrounds in both images are pretty busy. However, the main subject captures the eye initially. The background in the 2nd image is uniform in type and texture, so it seems less of a distraction than the background in the 1st image. I do like the subject and both images are very nice.
Thank you for the thougthful comment and for the evaluation of the two shots! Warm regards, Maurizio

---------- Post added 28-11-21 at 11:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by shyrsio Quote
I can smell this picture. Very nice!
This is a truly interesting and complimentary comment! Thank you! Warm regards, Maurizio

---------- Post added 28-11-21 at 11:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by victordeamorin Quote
Very nice shots, I do prefer the second one. Have you tried a square crop to remove the right part of the picture (branch laying on the ground, mossy Hill)? That could simplify it and re-center it o' your main subject
Thank you for your useful and kind comment. I will try to crop the right part of tge picture, this could be a good suggestion (yes, that little branch is a but disturbing). :-) Warm regards, Maurizio
11-28-2021, 03:24 PM - 1 Like   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sarge Quote
I would not say that the background is to busy. These photographs both make me feel like I am there. I love the colors and textures. It is almost as if you could reach out with your hand and feel the soft cool moss.
Many thanks, your beautiful comment make me feel that these photos have been successful in representing the beauty of the place, and this makes me happy! Warm regards, Maurizio

---------- Post added 28-11-21 at 11:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
I think this is a place where you can spend whole day no problem!
Great!
Thank you for the kind comment, I'm particularly glad you like the place! Yes, it is a woodland area with interesting trees, streams and small waterfalls, you can easily stay there for a whole day making photos! Best regards, Maurizio
11-28-2021, 05:27 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maucard Quote
Many thanks, your beautiful comment make me feel that these photos have been successful in representing the beauty of the place, and this makes me happy! Warm regards, Maurizio

---------- Post added 28-11-21 at 11:32 PM ----------

Thank you for the kind comment, I'm particularly glad you like the place! Yes, it is a woodland area with interesting trees, streams and small waterfalls, you can easily stay there for a whole day making photos! Best regards, Maurizio
You are quite welcome! Thank you for sharing them!
11-29-2021, 01:33 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I like the balance and composition in the first image. In the 2nd image, the brown/reds on the left bottom is distracting IMHO, so is the seemingly chaotic texture in the foreground with a twig thrown in. The first image offers a beautiful path for the eye to follow the exuberant greens up the tree trunk gently balanced by the plant on the right bottom of the frame. It is a magical place to be, behold and experience first-hand. That said, the background in the 2nd one is a tad better (again IMHO of course), but doesnt excuse the fact that composition and balance trumps a wee bit of advantage in the background texture. Thank you in earnest for sharing this.
11-29-2021, 01:55 PM - 1 Like   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vijaykishan Quote
I like the balance and composition in the first image. In the 2nd image, the brown/reds on the left bottom is distracting IMHO, so is the seemingly chaotic texture in the foreground with a twig thrown in. The first image offers a beautiful path for the eye to follow the exuberant greens up the tree trunk gently balanced by the plant on the right bottom of the frame. It is a magical place to be, behold and experience first-hand. That said, the background in the 2nd one is a tad better (again IMHO of course), but doesnt excuse the fact that composition and balance trumps a wee bit of advantage in the background texture. Thank you in earnest for sharing this.
Thank you for your toughtful comment! Your descriptions of respective merits and defects of the two shots appears very convincing, and I tend to agree concerning the preference for the first image. I'm particularly pleased concerning your liking of the represented woodland place.