Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
11-29-2021, 12:57 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

A B&W giant
Lens: D FA 28-105 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Tenerife (Canary Islands) ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F11 

So this is the Teide, and active volcano and the highest summit in the Kingdom of Spain at over 3700m elevation.
I had the opportunity to hike and photograph in the National Park of Teide for just one day recently, no preparation/reconnaissance possible, that picture might be the best one I got of the actual volcano (and there's been a lot).
It was a beautiful day, still early in the morning with a low winter sun in my back...
Any feedback? Composition? B&W conversion and levels? Thanks!

Last edited by VictorDA; 11-14-2022 at 09:30 AM.
11-29-2021, 04:19 PM - 3 Likes   #2

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by victordeamorin Quote
So this is the Teide, and active volcano and the highest summit in the Kingdom of Spain at over 3700m elevation.
I had the opportunity to hike and photograph in the National Park of Teide for just one day recently, no preparation/reconnaissance possible, that picture might be the best one I got of the actual volcano (and there's been a lot).
It was a beautiful day, still early in the morning with a low winter sun in my back...
It looks an impressive place! I like the composition, with the plants, rocks and a small rural road which drive the eye towards the mountain. I believe that the effect could be a bit enhanced by cutting a part (one third?) of the sky, and by increasing the brigthness of the foreground. In my opinion, it could be useful in particular to enhance the brightness of the vegetation in the foreground, and the evidence of the small road in the middle ground. I'm not an expert in B&W conversion, but I believe that this could be obtained by increasing the luminance of the appropriate color channel in Photoshop before the conversion (for example, if the road is yellow, you should enhance the luminance of the yellow channel).
Thanks for sharing!

Best regards,
Maurizio
11-29-2021, 04:44 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What maucard says is about the same as the way I see it.
However, be careful not to let the foreground detailing and lightening take away from the striking giant of the image!
I might enhance the vividness of the contrast in the mountain itself. Not much! But increasing its separation slightly from the sky.
Nice image of that mountain.
Angky.
11-29-2021, 08:00 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

nice shot!

11-29-2021, 11:03 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by maucard Quote
It looks an impressive place! I like the composition, with the plants, rocks and a small rural road which drive the eye towards the mountain. I believe that the effect could be a bit enhanced by cutting a part (one third?) of the sky, and by increasing the brigthness of the foreground. In my opinion, it could be useful in particular to enhance the brightness of the vegetation in the foreground, and the evidence of the small road in the middle ground. I'm not an expert in B&W conversion, but I believe that this could be obtained by increasing the luminance of the appropriate color channel in Photoshop before the conversion (for example, if the road is yellow, you should enhance the luminance of the yellow channel).
Thanks for sharing!

Best regards,
Maurizio
^^This^^ ! , Agree with the crop of the clouds a bit, the texture is not that interesting and is not adding to the whole image, in fact it could be negatively affecting the presence of the mountain (IMHO of course) . Agree on seperation of texture and gradation on the fore and mid-ground, as well. If you are using DarkTable - colour zones module is your friend

OP - Would be interesting to understand your process of B/W conversion
11-30-2021, 01:02 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks all!
QuoteOriginally posted by maucard Quote
n my opinion, it could be useful in particular to enhance the brightness of the vegetation in the foreground, and the evidence of the small road in the middle ground.
I'll give that a try one of these days. The sky, I don't know, I liked it with its linear clouds, but I'll try different things as well. Thanks for the suggestions
QuoteOriginally posted by vijaykishan Quote
If you are using DarkTable - colour zones module is your friend
OP - Would be interesting to understand your process of B/W conversion
I'm using LR!
To convert in B&W, I'm usually using the "color filters" functions (emulating the use of an actual colored filter on B&W film). I generally choose between green, yellow or orange depending on the desired effect. Here I think it was green in order to darken the sky and limit contrast in the foreground. Then I slightly adjust the sliders (exposure +0.5, contrast +10) and add a slight vignette to finish.

Last edited by VictorDA; 11-30-2021 at 01:05 AM. Reason: typos
12-01-2021, 04:36 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great use of leading lines in the composition.

12-01-2021, 06:36 AM   #8
Pentaxian

interesting place... it would be interesting to take a wider look... don't you have a panoramic shot?
12-01-2021, 06:41 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sarge Quote
Great use of leading lines in the composition.
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by Martin Stu Quote
don't you have a panoramic shot?
As a matter of fact I do, and with colors too, but I didn't think they were as impactful/meaningful:
I'll try to post a refresh of the original picture tonight

Last edited by VictorDA; 11-14-2022 at 09:30 AM.
12-01-2021, 06:58 AM   #10
Admiral
Loyal Site Supporter

Totally unprepared ? I guess chance favoures the prepared mind. Except for slight variations in personal taste for proportions of sky area, this is a flawless landscape image. Great job!
12-02-2021, 01:27 PM - 3 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Okay friends, thanks to all your feedback, please find herewith a second version.
I removed just a bit of the sky and increased the dirt road visibility. I also adjusted the luminance of the green and the contrasts a bit to make the whole image a bit more punchy.
What to you think? Better? Too much?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
12-02-2021, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #12

That is truly beautiful, clearly better than the first version! By the way, I like also the color shots you posted previously. If you like, they could be further optimized with a bit of post processing... That volcano looks magnific, you have aroused my curiosity and desire to visit it. :-)
12-03-2021, 02:34 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Okay friends, thanks to all your feedback, please find herewith a second version.
I removed just a bit of the sky and increased the dirt road visibility. I also adjusted the luminance of the green and the contrasts a bit to make the whole image a bit more punchy.
What to you think? Better? Too much?
Now you are talking ! Purrrfect. ready for print. Thanks for taking the effort to modify and present it to this forum - much appreciated.
12-03-2021, 04:01 AM   #14
Pentaxian

As a matter of fact I do, and with colors too, but I didn't think they were as impactful/meaningful:
I'll try to post a refresh of the original picture tonight
good pictures
second version
yes, the second version is more expressive
12-03-2021, 06:37 AM   #15
Admiral
Loyal Site Supporter

It is amazing how small changes can make such a big difference.