Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2021, 01:48 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Birds in the bushes...
Lens: DA 20 - 40 F2.8 LTD Camera: K-70 Photo Location: Green Cay, Boynton Beach, lorida ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F16 

So, what bugs me about this photo most are the birds in the bushes - or should I say the "white blobs" in the bushes!

I was going for a wide angle shot at 20MM, probably about 100' feet from the foreground bushes, in aperture priority mode, set to F/16 thinking I'd get decent depth of field, really didn't care about the birds at all, but now I see that I needed to!

This was handheld on a wooden boardwalk, so the fuzzy birds could be me, or a little vibration from others walking nearby. I am going to try this shot again today if I can get over there in time, will use a monopod to stabilize, and maybe try a few other aperture/speed combinations to experiment.

Any feedback would be appreciated...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
11-30-2021, 03:02 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think you have a pretty fine image as it is right here!
The white blobs of birds can be removed in post pretty easily (in Affinity Photo, at least).
Those freaky things like birds can really become a pest, can't they! Intently working on composition and lighting and DOF, but when you review the image suddenly you are surprised!
Been there; done that!!!
The fuzziness of the birds *might* be from diffraction of the brighter light coming from the white birds.
I can't tell from this post, but I don't see too much fuzziness from camera movement in anything else.
I hope your next shot does something as unique as this one, so that you'll have two great shots!
Angky.
11-30-2021, 08:37 PM   #3
CBM
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you for the feedback - I tried to get back to the same position I took the first shot, got close anyway - wouldn't you know a bird pretty much flew overhead as I was framing this shot. You can see his reflection in the water, but he blends into the background so you have to look for him. Anyhow, I was a bit better prepared as I had the ISO and shutter speed bumped up. I used the monopod and I think it helped too - some of those white specs in photo 1 might just be flowers you can now see in photo 2.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
11-30-2021, 10:51 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A completely different image of essentially the same scene--slightly different perspective.
Really fortunate, I think, to capture that bird's reflection so well. It really adds something special, to my way of seeing it.
The second one does seem a bit sharper-- due to the increased shutter speed?
You now have two great images!
Angky.

12-01-2021, 07:52 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CBM Quote
Thank you for the feedback - I tried to get back to the same position I took the first shot, got close anyway - wouldn't you know a bird pretty much flew overhead as I was framing this shot. You can see his reflection in the water, but he blends into the background so you have to look for him. Anyhow, I was a bit better prepared as I had the ISO and shutter speed bumped up. I used the monopod and I think it helped too - some of those white specs in photo 1 might just be flowers you can now see in photo 2.
IMHO the reflection of the bird is adding dynamism to the picture. It complements the reflection of the clouds very well. overall it is a nice plesant landscape - TFS
12-01-2021, 09:00 AM   #6
5ks
Pentaxian

The reflection of the flying bird is a wonderful effect here. It took a while to even think of looking for the real bird, and to find it. What a nice mystery!
12-01-2021, 05:45 PM   #7
CBM
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback - it's fun being out there and learning as you go - there is no substitute for mother nature!

12-02-2021, 02:03 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CBM Quote
there is no substitute for mother nature!
Amen ! yup, better to protect her if want her to protect us. She's powerful, beautiful, loving and kind and is very capable of demonstrating some tough-love.
12-02-2021, 08:16 PM - 1 Like   #9
CBM
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vijaykishan Quote
Amen ! yup, better to protect her if want her to protect us. She's powerful, beautiful, loving and kind and is very capable of demonstrating some tough-love.
I couldn't agree more!
12-05-2021, 03:58 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I really like the second picture with the passing reflection
12-05-2021, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #11
CBM
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster