Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
12-05-2021, 12:29 PM - 8 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Dancing with the Dolomites - Panoramic Sunrise
Lens: Pentax HD 24-70 F2.8 Camera: Pentax K1 Photo Location: Dolomites Italy ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/15s Aperture: F11 

This is a stitched panorama of 9 vertical frames. There was barely a minute to capture the entire sequence;Nonetheless, one of the most beautiful sunrise I have ever witnessed . Would be great to receive comments on cropping, framing and PP - thanks in advance.

12-05-2021, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #2
Millionth Poster!
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Spectacular shot. The light is amazing. Only thing that bugs me, and it bugs me only a little, is the lens flare.
Cropping is to taste and I like the whole scene here.
12-05-2021, 06:11 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vijaykishan Quote

This is a stitched panorama of 9 vertical frames. There was barely a minute to capture the entire sequence;Nonetheless, one of the most beautiful sunrise I have ever witnessed . Would be great to receive comments on cropping, framing and PP - thanks in advance.
vijaykishan please stop your dolomites shot keep giving me FOMO hahah. Great shot!
12-05-2021, 07:55 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'll bet you were really scrambling to capture all frames in that light!
Cropping could be done just about anywhere you want, and it would still be a good image.
I really like the sun-not-yet-there lighting on the ground topography in the foreground.
Angky.

12-06-2021, 01:25 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Scottnorwo Quote
Spectacular shot. The light is amazing. Only thing that bugs me, and it bugs me only a little, is the lens flare.
Cropping is to taste and I like the whole scene here.
Thanks Scottnorwo - I agree on the lens flare, I did remove a couple flare artifacts that were really disturbing, they were these very high intensity red and yellow ones. The remaining ones, I thought was adding a bit of flair (no pun intended) giving it a "natural" look. I took a couple of pictures with the sun blocked with my palm to avoid flare, maybe I can then replace just those areas - let me check. Thanks again for the constructive feedback - much appreciated.
12-06-2021, 01:41 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dneira29 Quote
vijaykishan please stop your dolomites shot keep giving me FOMO hahah. Great shot!
I take it that you like the picture. I'm having FOMO for not being there right now. it is truely a beautiful place.

QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
I'll bet you were really scrambling to capture all frames in that light!
Cropping could be done just about anywhere you want, and it would still be a good image.
I really like the sun-not-yet-there lighting on the ground topography in the foreground.
Angky.
Oh yes, thankfully I arrived 2 hours before the sunrise and had scouted for this place in freezing temparatures and knew the exact point where the sun would pop up - thank you PhotoPIlls. The tripod was set, levelled, Nodal Ninja Ulmimate was set up and the K1 with the 24-70 mounted vertically and appropriate no-parallax point dialed in. All that was left was to keep my hands and body warm by doing sit-ups lest my legs freeze . I took several shots of the sun popping up (a few seconds, and it is VERY easy to miss) and then spanned the pano for the rest of the shots.

I had cropped a lot tighter and left it to thaw in my brain, a week later I had a look again and decided the entire pano looks better (to my eye at least). Thanks for the comment Angky - appreciated.
12-06-2021, 02:01 AM - 1 Like   #7
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beautiful shot. It has an "other-worldly" look.

12-06-2021, 03:04 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Fantastic pano!
12-06-2021, 11:40 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Oh yes, thankfully I arrived 2 hours before the sunrise and had scouted for this place in freezing temparatures and knew the exact point where the sun would pop up - thank you PhotoPIlls. The tripod was set, levelled, Nodal Ninja Ulmimate was set up and the K1 with the 24-70 mounted vertically and appropriate no-parallax point dialed in. All that was left was to keep my hands and body warm by doing sit-ups lest my legs freeze . I took several shots of the sun popping up (a few seconds, and it is VERY easy to miss) and then spanned the pano for the rest of the shots.

I had cropped a lot tighter and left it to thaw in my brain, a week later I had a look again and decided the entire pano looks better (to my eye at least). Thanks for the comment Angky - appreciated.
Thanks for your detailed and very useful explanation!
I especially want to note your statement that you waited a week to, "let it thaw in my brain."
This, according to my discoveries, is one of the very best photographic "techniques" that I need to learn--and practice!--in my own work.
Not trying to reveal how many junky shots I make(!) , but it's similar to writing. A friend says, "There is no good writing--only good re-writing!"
Similarly with my images!
You cropped your pano, but then let it "thaw" before you came back and posted the whole pano. In my eyes, I think that was a great move with this image!
And you can yet crop it per others' suggestions and still come out with a good one!
Thanks for that useful word!
Angky.
12-06-2021, 01:28 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Beautiful shot. It has an "other-worldly" look.
True indeed, if I had not witnessed this with my own eyes, I would have thought that would be some CGI . As they say sometimes truth is stanger than fiction.

QuoteOriginally posted by reynb Quote
Fantastic pano!
Thanks Reynb - glad you liked it
12-06-2021, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #11
Forum Member

YES ! Well done ! congrats
12-06-2021, 08:36 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vijaykishan Quote
I take it that you like the picture. I'm having FOMO for not being there right now. it is truely a beautiful place.

I dont know what would give you that idea! hahah. Well maybe just a little bit!
12-07-2021, 03:19 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Thanks for your detailed and very useful explanation!
I especially want to note your statement that you waited a week to, "let it thaw in my brain."
This, according to my discoveries, is one of the very best photographic "techniques" that I need to learn--and practice!--in my own work.
Not trying to reveal how many junky shots I make(!) , but it's similar to writing. A friend says, "There is no good writing--only good re-writing!"
Similarly with my images!
You cropped your pano, but then let it "thaw" before you came back and posted the whole pano. In my eyes, I think that was a great move with this image!
And you can yet crop it per others' suggestions and still come out with a good one!
Thanks for that useful word!
Angky.
Yup, I do the same thing with writing as well, in fact, this came from my writing habit, although it is much less these days, the nueral connections are the same so applies for tasks that needs them. Writing, painting, photography, major decisions, major purchases, relationships etc etc. Well, I think life taught me this too late , and I don't think I learnt much either . Glad it helped and looking forward to see your portfolio of pictures Angky - thanks again for the considerate comment, appreciated.
12-07-2021, 03:24 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vinbenito Quote
YES ! Well done ! congrats
Thanks Vindenito

QuoteOriginally posted by dneira29 Quote
I dont know what would give you that idea! hahah. Well maybe just a little bit!
Well, I'm a bit scepticalof panoramas in general because, usually there are too many elements thatdistract the eye and make the viewer wander around and exit without a conveyingthe feeling of being there; getting coherence and balance to me isparamount, hence I hesitated initially and waited. I thought some fresh eyesmight be good, and it seems that it helped
12-07-2021, 03:39 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now that's a nice pano...really nice capture!