Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
12-12-2021, 12:36 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dneira29 Quote
Thats great! Sounds like a very nice hike! What kit were you hauling with you?? Hahah
Well, my backpacks are often quite heavy, I tend to carry too much gear with me! IIn that occasion I had at least (in my Mind Shift backpack) the K1 II, DFA 15-30 F2.8 (complete with its Nisi filter adapter, circular polarizer, neutral density and graduated neutral density filters), 43 mm 1.9 limited, DFA* 50 1 4, DFA* 85 1.4 and. a tripod (probably Peak Design).

12-12-2021, 08:06 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
To all of the above, I want to add that a slightly longer exposure would have improved the water jets, especially in the lower part.
12-12-2021, 09:25 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by maucard Quote
Well, my backpacks are often quite heavy, I tend to carry too much gear with me! IIn that occasion I had at least (in my Mind Shift backpack) the K1 II, DFA 15-30 F2.8 (complete with its Nisi filter adapter, circular polarizer, neutral density and graduated neutral density filters), 43 mm 1.9 limited, DFA* 50 1 4, DFA* 85 1.4 and. a tripod (probably Peak Design).
sounds like it gets heavy real quick haha. How do you like using your 15-30??
12-12-2021, 09:47 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the crop of the first version works in deemphasizing the lower section.

The second shot succeeds in showing the continuity of the stream, and it working out to following the main diagonal works really well imho.

In the third one I see a nice juxtaposition of the massive dark boulder on the right and the colourful trees and leaves on the left, separated by the waterfall. This could perhaps work even better in this shot without including all of the flowing water in the lower half?

12-12-2021, 06:00 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All these photos look really good to me but I really like the last one you posted as it just feels the most satisfying to me.
12-15-2021, 03:33 PM   #21
Forum Member

Hi ! Yes the last one is my favourite ! good job !
12-18-2021, 03:30 AM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fdooch Quote
To all of the above, I want to add that a slightly longer exposure would have improved the water jets, especially in the lower part.
Thank you for the suggestion, I will post a shot taken with a longer exposure... (even if not very long).
Best regards,
maurizio

---------- Post added 18-12-21 at 12:11 PM ----------

sounds like it gets heavy real quick haha. How do you like using your 15-30??
Hi dneira29, I like very much the DF 15-30! It is my most used lens.... It delivers beautiful colors and contrast, and excellent sharpness on the whole frame and on the whole focal range (especially at f8-f11, but it is very good also at wider apertures). At 20mm, I find it better (for contrast and corner sharpness) than my beloved old FA 20mm f2.8; at 30mm, I find it not very distant (for landscape and nature shots) from the excellent FA smc 31 limited. The resistence to flare is good but not perfect, some reflexes can appear when the sun is in frame (I guess this is unaivodable due to the complex optical scheme). The absence of a filter mount can be overcome by buying third-part filter holders for 150mm filters, made for the very similar 15-30 Tamron lens. It is big and quite heavy (and much bigger with the filter holder mounted), of course...

---------- Post added 18-12-21 at 12:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
I think the crop of the first version works in deemphasizing the lower section.

The second shot succeeds in showing the continuity of the stream, and it working out to following the main diagonal works really well imho.

In the third one I see a nice juxtaposition of the massive dark boulder on the right and the colourful trees and leaves on the left, separated by the waterfall. This could perhaps work even better in this shot without including all of the flowing water in the lower half?
Hi ehrwien, thanks for your interesting comments! Following your suggestion, I will post a version of the last shot where a part of the water flow in the lower part has been cleaved...

---------- Post added 18-12-21 at 12:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
All these photos look really good to me but I really like the last one you posted as it just feels the most satisfying to me.
Hello kiwi_jono, thank you for the kind comments, very much appreciated!
Best regards, Maurizio

---------- Post added 18-12-21 at 12:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by vinbenito Quote
Hi ! Yes the last one is my favourite ! good job !
Hi vinbenito, thank you so much foir the kind and encouraging comment!
Warm regards,
Maurizio

12-18-2021, 04:36 AM   #23

Original Poster
Other variants of the same subject

Thanks again to all the forum users that kindly commented of this thread. I will post here other three images:
1) a cropped version of the third shot of the second serie, as suggested by ehrwien
2) a new shot similar to the second image of the second series but with longer exposure (2,5 sec instead of 0,8 sec), as suggested by Fdooch. This new shot has been elaborated exactly in the same way as the shot previously shown, but it has more saturated colors due to the use of a polarizer filter
3) a new shot similar to the previous one, but more wide angle (at 15 mm instead of 19mm)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
12-18-2021, 09:47 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you for the suggestion, I will post a shot taken with a longer exposure... (even if not very long).
Best regards,
maurizio

---------- Post added 18-12-21 at 12:11 PM ----------

Hi dneira29, I like very much the DF 15-30! It is my most used lens.... It delivers beautiful colors and contrast, and excellent sharpness on the whole frame and on the whole focal range (especially at f8-f11, but it is very good also at wider apertures). At 20mm, I find it better (for contrast and corner sharpness) than my beloved old FA 20mm f2.8; at 30mm, I find it not very distant (for landscape and nature shots) from the excellent FA smc 31 limited. The resistence to flare is good but not perfect, some reflexes can appear when the sun is in frame (I guess this is unaivodable due to the complex optical scheme). The absence of a filter mount can be overcome by buying third-part filter holders for 150mm filters, made for the very similar 15-30 Tamron lens. It is big and quite heavy (and much bigger with the filter holder mounted), of course...

---------- Post added 18-12-21 at 12:14 PM ----------

Hi ehrwien, thanks for your interesting comments! Following your suggestion, I will post a version of the last shot where a part of the water flow in the lower part has been cleaved...

---------- Post added 18-12-21 at 12:16 PM ----------

Hello kiwi_jono, thank you for the kind comments, very much appreciated!
Best regards, Maurizio

---------- Post added 18-12-21 at 12:18 PM ----------

Hi vinbenito, thank you so much foir the kind and encouraging comment!
Warm regards,
Maurizio
How necessary did you find the filter mount? Despite the inconvenience of having to carry around an external filter mount out does the quality make it worth it?
12-18-2021, 02:35 PM   #25

Original Poster
How necessary did you find the filter mount? Despite the inconvenience of having to carry around an external filter mount out does the quality make it worth it?
I use polarizer quite a lot in nature shots, to reduce reflexes, and sometimes a graduated neutral density to compensate excessive contrast, hence for me the external filter mount is very useful, and it worth it carrying the extra weight. However, it is true that this lens delivers nice colors even without polarizer, hence it is not properly necessary to buy the external filter mount if only for saturating colors thanks to the polarizer. It all depends on your photographic needs and preferences....
12-18-2021, 10:08 PM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use polarizer quite a lot in nature shots, to reduce reflexes, and sometimes a graduated neutral density to compensate excessive contrast, hence for me the external filter mount is very useful, and it worth it carrying the extra weight. However, it is true that this lens delivers nice colors even without polarizer, hence it is not properly necessary to buy the external filter mount if only for saturating colors thanks to the polarizer. It all depends on your photographic needs and preferences....
I can definitely see what you mean. When i get the 15-30 I know i will inevitably get the filter mount but I’m really looking for reasons that it’s not necessary hahah
12-20-2021, 05:59 AM   #27
Pentaxian

I like how the foreground makes me involved in the image.
12-22-2021, 04:18 PM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I like how the foreground makes me involved in the image.
Thank you for the kind comment!

---------- Post added 23-12-21 at 12:23 AM ----------

I can definitely see what you mean. When i get the 15-30 I know i will inevitably get the filter mount but I’m really looking for reasons that it’s not necessary hahah
If you are not sure, you could buy the lens first, experiment a bit with it, and in case add filters and filter mounts in a second moment, if you need...
12-23-2021, 07:35 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like all the images. If I had to pick a fav it would be the middle one.
12-27-2021, 01:47 AM - 1 Like   #30

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimS_256 Quote
I like all the images. If I had to pick a fav it would be the middle one.
Thanks for the kind comment, and for giving me your opinion.