Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2021, 03:34 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
During the lottery, many people write for the sake of statistics.
Your shot is pretty minimalistic. Very atmospheric. This can be lost with additional processing.
If you find fault with it, the slope of the background line disturbs the composition a little.
You can, of course, redraw from the right side, but I'm not 100 percent sure if this is necessary

12-09-2021, 04:03 PM   #17
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Mhm - that's what I was playing with. Extreme contrast and pulling it down to where it seems right, this was the best balance I could come up with.Admittedly my PP skills are really quite poor, so there's lots of practice there still
I hear what you are saying, but even with good PP skills (which I too don't have), this is a hard image to work with. I have a shot of a tree, which must have been fairly dead, where due to snow accumulation lost many of its branches that formed a ring around it - i.e. a fairly unusual sighting. I've played with it many times, but I've never been able to get back to what I saw that day. So if anyone has general suggestions on settings to tweak for grey, low contrast images, I'd also be interested
12-11-2021, 09:02 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vinbenito Quote
Hi, I think there is potentiel maybe if you play a little with the dehaze function in Lightroom (if you work with lightroom...)
QuoteOriginally posted by dneira29 Quote
interesting shot! I think I would have liked just a little less sky. Nicely done
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Well, you folks have discussed it a lot, and with good thoughts.
But I want to say that, whether it captured what you wanted or not, this shot does beautifully exactly what I've been trying so hard to get in my snow shots of burnt and live coniferous forests.
So, I would say that this image carries the message very well--at least the message that I'm always striving for (and failing at).
But keep working at it and maybe you'll get the perfect one that goes even beyond this one!
Very impressed with this image, I am!
Angky.
QuoteOriginally posted by vijaykishan Quote
IMHO, the image conveys the feeling, although the texture of the snow could be a bit more "visible", a bit of crop on the top and it is ready to print. it is beautiful. TFS
QuoteOriginally posted by Fdooch Quote
During the lottery, many people write for the sake of statistics.
Your shot is pretty minimalistic. Very atmospheric. This can be lost with additional processing.
If you find fault with it, the slope of the background line disturbs the composition a little.
You can, of course, redraw from the right side, but I'm not 100 percent sure if this is necessary
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
I hear what you are saying, but even with good PP skills (which I too don't have), this is a hard image to work with. I have a shot of a tree, which must have been fairly dead, where due to snow accumulation lost many of its branches that formed a ring around it - i.e. a fairly unusual sighting. I've played with it many times, but I've never been able to get back to what I saw that day. So if anyone has general suggestions on settings to tweak for grey, low contrast images, I'd also be interested
Thank you all for the interesting advice. Read through it all and considering maybe 3:2 cropping some off the top would work better after all as well...
11-16-2023, 10:21 AM   #19

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I feel like there's something not quite right here, I had a vision in my mind but can't seem to put it onto the photo or really work out what it is... I think the slow shutter speed gives an interesting texture to the sky with falling snow however...
I think it's lovely. It definitely communicates the feeling of being there- the cold, the quiet. If any criticism at all, I would say maybe there are too many competing elements.

11-17-2023, 07:55 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I quite like this but I would go in for a much tighter crop. Crop out the smaller trees on the left and right and crop the top and bottom tighter also...