Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
12-18-2021, 05:39 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimS_256 Quote
I love your Dolomite pictures, this one especially since I recognize the peaks, although we were camped on the other side at Sella Pass and had a different view.

On this image I find the person distracting. My eye bounces from the sunlit peak to the person and back. I probably would have cropped the lower third out and made the peak the sole focus of the image. My disclaimer is I tend to like mountains more than people.
Join the gang for people who like the mountains more ! That said, sometimes just to present the scale of the mountains a human presence becomes almost a necessity lest the viewer interpret it as a mole hill (pun intended). That said, I get your point about distraction. I did not know one could camp on the other side of the Sella pass, thank you.

12-18-2021, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vijaykishan Quote
That said, sometimes just to present the scale of the mountains a human presence becomes almost a necessity lest the viewer interpret it as a mole hill (pun intended). That said, I get your point about distraction. I did not know one could camp on the other side of the Sella pass, thank you.
I think the farm buildings provide a good scale reference so the person isn't essential but I see your point.

You're probably right about camping at Sella Pass. I was there almost 50 years ago in 1973. A lot can change in that much time. We didn't camp in any formal campground, just pitched our tent in a field by a bunch of other climber's tents.
12-19-2021, 08:23 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimS_256 Quote
I think the farm buildings provide a good scale reference so the person isn't essential but I see your point.

You're probably right about camping at Sella Pass. I was there almost 50 years ago in 1973. A lot can change in that much time. We didn't camp in any formal campground, just pitched our tent in a field by a bunch of other climber's tents.
I've come to think of it and you are right, her presence is not necessary in this picture for scale - but for interest as a balancing POI for the peak, Let me check if I have a frame without the person and check if it makes sense. - Thanks,
03-09-2022, 10:32 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We were witnessing a glorious sunset in the Dolomites. Need your thoughts on composition, cropping and placement / scale of the subject/s. - All comments and critique welcome
Exceptionally well handled, avoiding horizon halo.

The scale of subjects Vs mountains wouldn't be a problem in a giant print.

Personally, I'd try to keep everything the ways it is...but making some of the buildings more obvious by selective dodging/burning (I'd use NIK),

08-13-2022, 03:32 AM   #20
aki

We were witnessing a glorious sunset in the Dolomites. Need your thoughts on composition, cropping and placement / scale of the subject/s. - All comments and critique welcome
For me is perfect at all , composition ,lights and exposition . i thinck that the black parts are well exposures
11-18-2023, 06:57 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Superb, have the person in the foreground shows the scale of the mountains.
12-01-2023, 10:05 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What is not to like about this? The yellow raincoat is intriguing since you have a clear blue sky. If the subject was slightly larger, the picture may tell a story of I was there better. Small subject implies they got in the way of the photo. To me, overall the subject is the lighting on the mountains. My 2 cents...