Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2021, 10:40 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Through these gates...
Lens: DA 50-135 Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Central City, CO ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/3000s Aperture: F5.6 

This fall I took a trip to the historic Gold Rush cemetery above the gambling mecca of Central City, outside Denver. Here are buried gamblers of an earlier era, plus their families. Few miners got rich, but fraternal organizations like this ensured that they'd at least get a decent burial. Today, It's a fine place to stroll and enjoy a perfect fall day. Can you read the name?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
12-14-2021, 02:16 AM   #2
Pentaxian

"Knights of pythias"? No idea what that means.
The framing is pleasing and the contrast of the black frame on light background is striking... but the lettering is hard to read indeed which makes it pretty distracting.
I also have a small problem with the out-of-focus yellow leaves on blue sky background: it seems probably the contrast or colors were pushed and the outline of the leaves looks a bit artificial.
Thanks for sharing!
12-14-2021, 03:38 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Nice shot! The arch really pops!
12-14-2021, 05:23 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I like every element separately, nice background and forground (although I've never heard of those knights ), but they fit not together - or rather fit together too well -> the letters don't stand out because they are too close in color to the background, I think I'd have preferred the sky as background in this instance

12-14-2021, 04:14 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by victordeamorin Quote
"Knights of pythias"? No idea what that means.
Nor I , so google foo came thru!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_of_Pythias

Hang up and DRIVE!
12-14-2021, 09:05 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatridger Quote
This fall I took a trip to the historic Gold Rush cemetery above the gambling mecca of Central City, outside Denver. Here are buried gamblers of an earlier era, plus their families. Few miners got rich, but fraternal organizations like this ensured that they'd at least get a decent burial. Today, It's a fine place to stroll and enjoy a perfect fall day. Can you read the name?
Signage might stand out better if had sky as backing. And might have shown grave head stone or two in image to self explain. Maybe wider angle to achieve some of this?
11-16-2023, 09:10 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatridger Quote
Nice with a foreground in focus ,very sharp, and a blurry background.
But a pity that it's so difficult to read the sign ?

12-19-2023, 03:37 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, it's quite difficult to read the sign. That was my goal. For a few short weeks of aspen season, the leaves and the the letters match. I tried to use bokeh to set the letters apart, but maybe I should have used more of it. I'll try again next year.