Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
12-15-2021, 01:11 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lost World
Lens: DA 18-135 Camera: K-50 Photo Location: South Dakota ISO: 1250 Shutter Speed: 1/640s Aperture: F8 

Three lone trees on a small plateau separated from the cliff. A giant's bonsai garden perhaps?

I wasn't paying attention and should have used a slower shutter speed and hence a lower ISO but I like the composition and color. The more I look at the image the more I like it.

12-15-2021, 02:50 PM   #2
Pentaxian

It's amazing the trees can carve out a living on top of rocks!

Did you use a CPL filter? The sky on the viewer's LH side looks like what can happen when using a CPL on wider focal lengths pointed in certain directions.
12-15-2021, 06:48 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That is a scene that could offer a whole lot of options!
Great scene and a nice image of it.
Angky.
12-15-2021, 08:18 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimS_256 Quote
Three lone trees on a small plateau separated from the cliff. A giant's bonsai garden perhaps?

I wasn't paying attention and should have used a slower shutter speed and hence a lower ISO but I like the composition and color. The more I look at the image the more I like it.
It does look like a lost world! Good composition.

12-16-2021, 01:01 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Nice shot, thanks for sharing. Beautiful spot too
Indeed, I would try to lighten up the top left of the sky a bit for balance.
I would also suggest to tilt the image slightly to the right (so that the horizon looks more horizontal) and crop just a litle bit on the right side to get rid of the oultying foliage in the top part.
12-16-2021, 01:46 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

I like it, a lot. My only comment is maybe clone out the small bit of leaves on the right side near the top. I'd make it a wall hanger, for sure.
12-16-2021, 05:45 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
It's amazing the trees can carve out a living on top of rocks!

Did you use a CPL filter? The sky on the viewer's LH side looks like what can happen when using a CPL on wider focal lengths pointed in certain directions.
Thanks for commenting. Yes, keep the CPL on the lens almost all the time.

QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
That is a scene that could offer a whole lot of options!
Great scene and a nice image of it.
Angky.
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by markduq Quote
It does look like a lost world! Good composition.
Thanks you!

QuoteOriginally posted by victordeamorin Quote
Nice shot, thanks for sharing. Beautiful spot too
Indeed, I would try to lighten up the top left of the sky a bit for balance.
I would also suggest to tilt the image slightly to the right (so that the horizon looks more horizontal) and crop just a litle bit on the right side to get rid of the oultying foliage in the top part.
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll see what I can do with the sky. This is not cropped at all and I think the horizon is sloping correctly and the camera was level (but it is hard to tell). I agree the little bit of foliage on the right edge needs to go.

QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
I like it, a lot. My only comment is maybe clone out the small bit of leaves on the right side near the top. I'd make it a wall hanger, for sure.
Thanks! I agree about the leaves on the right.

12-17-2021, 12:32 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here is an updated image based on the comments above.

12-17-2021, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #9
Lev
Veteran Member

It's only me or somebody else see mother with two children in this picture? It's very nice!
12-17-2021, 12:54 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
It's only me or somebody else see mother with two children in this picture? It's very nice!
LOL That's perfect! I wish I'd thought of it, it would have made a great thread title. Thanks for commenting!
12-17-2021, 06:21 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Not only the sky's improvement, but also the increased contrast (or clarity?) really helps separate the plateau from the lower ground.
Angky.
12-18-2021, 05:28 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This is indeed an improvement. From the composition POV, one could try lopping off the entire bunch of trees on the extreme right, this will bring the centre trees in sharp relief. Overall this picture, as alluded to, could be a frame in the "Lost world" Jurassic park movie series . TFS.
12-18-2021, 01:08 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I liked the original version but must admit, this is an improvement. I like the sky much better and the overall view is beautiful. Thank you for posting the updated photo.
12-18-2021, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Not only the sky's improvement, but also the increased contrast (or clarity?) really helps separate the plateau from the lower ground.
Angky.
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by vijaykishan Quote
This is indeed an improvement. From the composition POV, one could try lopping off the entire bunch of trees on the extreme right, this will bring the centre trees in sharp relief. Overall this picture, as alluded to, could be a frame in the "Lost world" Jurassic park movie series . TFS.
I thought about cropping the trees on the right but then I would also lose the crevice that separates the little plateau from the main cliff. Thanks for commenting!

QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
I liked the original version but must admit, this is an improvement. I like the sky much better and the overall view is beautiful. Thank you for posting the updated photo.
Thanks! The new sky is courtesy of Photoshop and the "sky replacement" feature. This is one of their provided skys, which I thought worked really well. Now that I understand how the feature works I'll start building a library of my own skys. No more worries about the CPL messing it up with wide angle lenses.