Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2021, 03:22 PM   #1

Off the beaten path at Suomenlinna (offshore fortress, Helsinki)
Lens: Olympus 17mm f/1.8 Camera: OM-D E-M10 III Photo Location: Helsinki ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F6.3 

I have a folder with several images that I had captured using my (recently sold) Olympus camera . . . that just weren't quite right and needed some post processing (composition, exposure adjustments, etc). While touring Suomenlinna (Helsinki) I came across an old bike with plants growing through and around it. I thought to myself "here's an instant classic" but the shot was "meh."

I'm curious -- does the "desaturate everything but green" trick work, here? Or does it not work for you?

edit: I see that embedding reduces resolution pretty dramatically. To be honest, though, it wasn't super-sharp to begin with.
(It's one of the reasons I switched my lightweight travel camera from an Olympus to a GR III...)

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-M10 Mark III  Photo 

Last edited by walterthedog; 12-21-2021 at 03:27 PM.
12-21-2021, 08:33 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum.

I like your picture.

Frankly, I am use to take photograph for myself. If I like the picture I took, I say “mission accomplished”. It brings memories to me. It doesn’t need to be technically perfect. If shared and nobody else like it, well… who cares.

I wish you a happy holiday season!
Happy shooting.

Last edited by mhoule418; 12-21-2021 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Welcome added. :)
12-22-2021, 05:42 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by walterthedog Quote
I'm curious -- does the "desaturate everything but green" trick work, here? Or does it not work for you?
Yes, but personally I wouldn't desaturate the other colors all the way to b&w, I'd leave an inkling of color in the image.

I think I would have taken the image further from the left side, so that the image would have ended at the corner of the house, but it would be monotonous if everyone had the same approach in composition
12-22-2021, 07:22 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks @mhoule!

@othar, I know what you mean about the composition. This was one of those times when I was lagging behind others, looking for interesting subjects. I don't want to be too hard on myself, because I know I was rushing...but I can't help thinking "why that angle/perspective?" Thank you for the suggestion re: color! I've got the raw file -- I'll give it a try

12-22-2021, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Back in the day, selective discoloration was fashionable. But now it is already perceived as kitsch
12-22-2021, 10:21 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for your candor & honesty, Fdooch. That's exactly what I was looking for, by posting to this specific forum.

I have photos that I've enjoyed enough to pay to print as a poster, or on a large canvas. They're good enough for me. It's the other photos - the ones that I didn't like as much as I hoped - that I'm interested to share in this forum. Honest feedback is helpful in "putting my finger on" what exactly was not quite right.

Probably there are times when the right processing & editing really can make the difference. But for this shot, the lesson might be as simple as: "Slow down and capture a sharper, more thoughtfully composed image to start with."
12-22-2021, 11:32 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In bw, he would have looked no less expressive

12-24-2021, 04:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There is not much for composition adjustment, it's pretty tight crop already. Is it the original frame, or crop? . Imo, b/w and green does not work much here.
12-24-2021, 07:11 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
There is not much for composition adjustment, it's pretty tight crop already. Is it the original frame, or crop? . Imo, b/w and green does not work much here.
It's a crop. I wish I had simply taken two steps to the left before pressing the shutter.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-M10 Mark III  Photo 
12-24-2021, 07:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by walterthedog Quote
It's a crop. I wish I had simply taken two steps to the left before pressing the shutter.
I think it's hard to frame bikes next to the wall in general. It's hard to find the way making them stand out. First I let the auto tone preset to decide how to adjust the light, it's useful sometimes to see what direction to take with adjustments. Here is the auto tone in LR.

Then it will be easier to play around crop. For me it's the most difficult part- what to leave, what to cut, what should bring the attention, and what should go away. Let's say if you don't want to modify your picture with creative textures, or backgrounds, you can get rid off clipped sky, and then continue framing.
Attached Images

Last edited by micromacro; 12-24-2021 at 07:58 AM.
12-24-2021, 08:36 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Here is one of the ways how to deal with clipped highlights.
Attached Images