Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
01-04-2022, 11:45 AM - 1 Like   #16

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
For a "newb" you did an awfully good job of removing the cone and cable! Nice work
Thank you. The clone tool has always been my nemesis so I’ve always avoided using it. This was my first time using on an area this large. I like all of the variations of this capture that I’ve made so far. It’s really difficult to choose which one I like the best. But I think the B&W image with the guide wire and traffic edited out is my fave, especially after I turned it a bit counter clockwise to even the roof line up (which I haven’t posted that particular edit). Everyone has been so kind to offer critiques. Much appreciated.

01-04-2022, 04:14 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Phyllis Quote
This is a quick edit applying the critiques I received from everyone. I’ll look at each capture later today and hopefully choose a favorite. It’s hard when you like them all.
Personally I prefer the first two ’darker' variants ...it seems to emphasise the cold, snowy atmosphere.
this last ’brighter’ one also looses texture details in the snow on the bench...
01-04-2022, 05:21 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Phyllis Quote
Took suggestions made. Converted to B&W.
I prefer this BW version.

As for the color version, the yellow wire and the orange cone detract from the scene their bright colors and angled shapes draw the eye away in two opposite directions.

The red eaves and the amber light are more subdued, and complement the softness of the scene, unlike the jarring yellows and oranges of the wire and cone..
01-05-2022, 05:03 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mlag Quote
Personally I prefer the first two ’darker' variants ...it seems to emphasise the cold, snowy atmosphere.
this last ’brighter’ one also looses texture details in the snow on the bench...
I tend to prefer the darker one myself. And yes, brightening the capture does lose the details in the snow on the bench, it’s a very fine edge to balance. I’ll keep working on it. Thank you.

---------- Post added 01-05-22 at 06:09 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I prefer this BW version.

As for the color version, the yellow wire and the orange cone detract from the scene their bright colors and angled shapes draw the eye away in two opposite directions.

The red eaves and the amber light are more subdued, and complement the softness of the scene, unlike the jarring yellows and oranges of the wire and cone..
I agree with your comments regarding the eye being pulled in different directions. I think it’s why the guide wire bugs me so much, as my eye starts to travel the scene, it stops my eye and forces me to follow the guide wire right out of the image. But then again, it could just be me. I’ll continue to work with this as I’ve received very helpful critiques and it’s fun working on several different images to find the one I like the best. Thank you for your input.

01-05-2022, 07:34 AM   #20
Pentaxian

My liking is for the 'darker' version, but minus the cone and the yellow wire protector. Some low-key images (which to me this is, despite the areas of snow) benefit from a hint of colour, but to me (as yourself) they act as jarring interruptions to a more placid scene.
01-05-2022, 12:31 PM - 1 Like   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
My liking is for the 'darker' version, but minus the cone and the yellow wire protector. Some low-key images (which to me this is, despite the areas of snow) benefit from a hint of colour, but to me (as yourself) they act as jarring interruptions to a more placid scene.
Thanks so much for your comments.
01-12-2022, 08:54 AM - 4 Likes   #22

Original Poster
This is the final version that I’ve chosen as my favorite of all. Thanks to all for your input. It truly helped me out.

Attached Images

01-13-2022, 04:15 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For me, I would just select the orange cone and the yellow cover on the guy wire, and change them to grey. Leave everything else as is
01-13-2022, 08:10 PM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
For me, I would just select the orange cone and the yellow cover on the guy wire, and change them to grey. Leave everything else as is
I can definitely do that and see if I like it. Thanks so much.
01-13-2022, 11:26 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just to make your head spin with too many ideas:

I liked the first pic, but would go with your instinct of removing the guideline and cone. But keep the colour in the lights. (in fact if there is a way of ramping up each light I would do it!)

Now, here's the thing: I also like the B&W version - but, could you put the colour back into the lights? Yes, even into the B&W version.

I honestly did NOT like the quick edit, put everything in version - it has lost the mystery of the original.

This last version - I like. (But just for the sake of curiosity, see if you can put the colour back into the lights - it would keep their nature honest. Otherwise, they almost just look like more stray bits of snow.)

Last edited by K2 to K50; 01-13-2022 at 11:35 PM.
01-14-2022, 07:38 PM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote

I liked the first pic, but would go with your instinct of removing the guideline and cone. But keep the colour in the lights. (in fact if there is a way of ramping up each light I would do it!)

Now, here's the thing: I also like the B&W version - but, could you put the colour back into the lights? Yes, even into the B&W version.

I honestly did NOT like the quick edit, put everything in version - it has lost the mystery of the original.

This last version - I like. (But just for the sake of curiosity, see if you can put the colour back into the lights - it would keep their nature honest. Otherwise, they almost just look like more stray bits of snow.)
Thank you for your comments. Def something I can try and see what I can do. It will be a few days before I have time.
01-15-2022, 06:31 AM   #27
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
On the original image... another vote for remove the guide wire completely with the yellow bit, remove orange cone, keep the lights and straighten things up as mentioned by Fdooch.
01-15-2022, 08:22 AM - 1 Like   #28

Original Poster

I worked on adding the lights back in with color. My skills are limited. However, I feel there’s so little color information in the raw file that anything major to the lights simply blows them out. Tried several different layers, playing around with different settings and this seemed to be the best with adding the color of the lights back into the image.

Thoughts?
Attached Images

01-15-2022, 08:45 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You must leave the christmas lights in therefore everything else must stay to show that it is a colour photo. It's brilliant. It's a WTF photo makes people think.
01-15-2022, 09:00 AM - 3 Likes   #30

Original Poster

2nd version with the darker lights pulled from the raw file.

---------- Post added 01-15-22 at 10:01 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kombivan Quote
You must leave the christmas lights in therefore everything else must stay to show that it is a colour photo. It's brilliant. It's a WTF photo makes people think.

Thank you for explaining it this way.
Attached Images