Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2022, 09:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

In the duck pond
Lens: DA*200 + Rear Converter 1.4x AW Camera: pentax kp Photo Location: Sweden ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1s Aperture: F32 

Tried to shoot bird with long shutter speed and thought it gave a different quaint expression

Attached Images

01-11-2022, 09:45 AM - 1 Like   #2
mir
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Elvy,

A rather artistic look. I like it ;-)

Regards Michael.
01-11-2022, 09:53 AM - 1 Like   #3
Admiral
Loyal Site Supporter

Perfect timing. The isolated individual, frozen in time, gives the image
a dream like atmosphere. It seems like time is not passing at the same
pace for her. For a moment I forgot how much I like ducks ... in confit
01-11-2022, 09:26 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Certainly does give a different perspective on what was there in that water!
Interesting concept!
Ankgy.

01-13-2022, 08:46 PM - 1 Like   #5
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice idea. What doesn't quite work for me is that nothing is sharp. The long exposures that work best for me are where some things show movement and some don't. I would have like the fixed elements (the rocks and the ground behind the pond) to be sharp and clear, contrasting with the movement of the water and the ducks. In other words, subject movement yes, camera movement no! That means using a tripod. If you were really lucky, the duck in the middle happened to remain still during the exposure, it would make the shot. (The blurriness of that duck in the shot could have come from camera movement rather than movement of the duck - it looks similar to the blur of the rock.)

Getting everything blurred from camera movement is a thing, but it doesn't work well in many situations IMO.

Last edited by Des; 01-15-2022 at 05:39 PM.
01-15-2022, 12:15 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For some reason, I am perceived as a kind of Boogeyman, but usually I am just as strict about my photos. I would delete such a photo and try to retake it.
A few months ago I was in the wilderness where the birds are not particularly afraid of people.
But the internal excitement passed into the hands and as a result, the photo was not sharp.
Very disappointing. But I had to delete and take into account my mistakes in the future.
01-15-2022, 06:11 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Nice idea. What doesn't quite work for me is that nothing is sharp. The long exposures that work best for me are where some things show movement and some don't. I would have like the fixed elements (the rocks and the ground behind the pond) to be sharp and clear, contrasting with the movement of the water and the ducks. In other words, subject movement yes, camera movement no! That means using a tripod. If you were really lucky, the duck in the middle happened to remain still during the exposure, it would make the shot. (The blurriness of that duck in the shot could have come from camera movement rather than movement of the duck - it looks similar to the blur of the rock.)

Getting everything blurred from camera movement is a thing, but it doesn't work well in many situations IMO.
You can fire 2 shots. Fast shutter speed for the main subject to freeze its movement. And a second long exposure shot to capture the passage of time. And combine them in Photoshop. Of course you need a tripod

01-16-2022, 01:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fdooch Quote
For some reason, I am perceived as a kind of Boogeyman, but usually I am just as strict about my photos. I would delete such a photo and try to retake it.
A few months ago I was in the wilderness where the birds are not particularly afraid of people.
But the internal excitement passed into the hands and as a result, the photo was not sharp.
Very disappointing. But I had to delete and take into account my mistakes in the future.
Yes it is right that you think so, in my case this was the purpose to get the picture in this way and I post the picture here just to hear different opinions about this style. Thanks for the feedback

---------- Post added 01-16-22 at 01:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Fdooch Quote
You can fire 2 shots. Fast shutter speed for the main subject to freeze its movement. And a second long exposure shot to capture the passage of time. And combine them in Photoshop. Of course you need a tripod
I shoot a lot of double exposures but I always do them in the camera. I never photoshop a double exposure. I find it most exciting to make all the settings in the camera and as little as possible in the computer. You can do photoshop and fake as much as you like, but that does not attract me. Therefore, I strive in my direction and do that directly in the camera with various brilliant results.

Last edited by Elvy Annika Nykvist; 01-16-2022 at 01:59 AM.