Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-06-2022, 09:21 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Cold and abandoned
Lens: FA* 80-200 F2.8 Camera: K5iis Photo Location: Arenzville Illinois ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/800s Aperture: F7.1 

An old house in the snow, it's on private property so not much chance to change the view. This from the roadside, I like the snow on the roof and the curtain blowing out the window.

Tim

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
02-06-2022, 10:14 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very interesting place to discover--and to know that it has lost its place in our world.
The TV antenna indicates it was lived in at least since the 1950s, though the style of the house seems to speak to a time much earlier than that.
I would find it hard to not explore it further, even though on private land!
Angky.
02-07-2022, 01:40 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Angky.
Me too - after all, it is always easier to apologise than to obtain permission !
02-07-2022, 01:57 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Very interesting place to discover--and to know that it has lost its place in our world.
The TV antenna indicates it was lived in at least since the 1950s, though the style of the house seems to speak to a time much earlier than that.
Angky.
The PVC downpipes suggest that it was at least maintained in some condition until the 1980s, but the state of the weatherboards tell me that it hasn’t been painted since then.

Well captured.

02-07-2022, 08:36 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments, I may go back and look around when there isn't the white record keeper on the ground. I've been looking for these old houses lately. Maybe its because I know of several that aren't standing any more and I wish I had photographed them when I had the chance. This trip reminded me of another one I use to ride my bicycle past, need to see if that one is still standing. That was ten or fifteen years ago, time sure does fly by.

Tim
03-09-2022, 10:21 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fuzzyphotos Quote
An old house in the snow, it's on private property so not much chance to change the view. This from the roadside, I like the snow on the roof and the curtain blowing out the window.

Tim
Just personal taste, but I would have shot or cropped to eliminate most of the sky and snow.
03-10-2022, 07:49 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by janosh Quote
Just personal taste, but I would have shot or cropped to eliminate most of the sky and snow.
Something like this? I'm generally never aggressive enough with the crop.

Tim

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
03-12-2022, 04:35 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A shot that tells a story is always nice. The composition sits between the close and wide ends, the only thing I'd consider is changing the AOV towards the main facade, as it would've had more architectural elements included. I like the ratio. There's no distortion,so as an architectural shot it works fine. The color is a bit too saturated for my eyes and the WB is a bit cooler than perfect but it surely gives an idea. On my screen I see some burnt highlights but nothing bad. Snowy photos are a bit tricky, as we know. The overall quality is very good and I think your location is very interesting to stick around and make a small set, if you haven't already.
03-12-2022, 05:38 PM   #9
Closed Account

very nice photo
I do like the crop version best