Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2022, 12:48 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Color vs. Sepia

Just curious, and playing around with Gimp, which do you prefer or how do you like each in a different way

05-02-2022, 06:09 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The real world is colour.
05-02-2022, 06:27 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
In my eye, for this kind of a photo, the monochrome seems to fit.
But then, pictures were B&W images until I was in Jr. Hi.
Angky.
05-02-2022, 11:04 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice rendition. I appreciate, both.

05-03-2022, 08:56 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks everyone...
I think Sepia works well on a photo that could have been taken from yesteryear....
I recently learned that Sepia is actually a monochrome photo, as it has only one color in it, which is brown...
05-04-2022, 02:42 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Toning can be used to add a bit of a "feel" to photos that would otherwise be black & white, and old photos are certainly an application for the sepia look. I remember when some 8mm movies (available for purchase) were available in sepia. These movies were of dated subject matter and the sepia treatment added to them. Don't overlook some of the other toning options (brown, gold, blue, red, and yellow) but I think sepia was one of the most used and had the highest popularity. Michael's example is a good one.

As a side note (do not read if you're into electronic photography) sepia toning (and some of the other toning processes) added archival keeping to prints so treated. The toned silver became more durable than pure silver so in some cases, toning was used as a means to extend the life of B&W prints.
05-06-2022, 06:22 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Terry C Quote
Not for everybody. And not all the same colors.

But on the photo,
I like the color one better. the sepia (in this case), feels like a trick.

05-06-2022, 03:25 PM   #8
Pentaxian

A fundamental problem with a (sepia) toning is that the highlights are filled in with a color, and consequently contrast is reduced, and the shadows are not black. So in no time the photo looks muddy, which is one of the first things you want to avoid in a B&W photo. The best thing you can do is to increase contrast beforehand and keep the toning subtle.

Also, because a B&W photo needs more contrast than a color photo to appear attractive, simply converting a color photo to monochrome mostly gives you a photo that appears flat and it needs a contrast enhancement anyways.

In this case your color photo has already has very little contrast despite taken in sunny weather, which doesn't help either.
05-10-2022, 08:28 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Terry C Quote
Are you 100% certain of that?
05-25-2022, 09:39 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I'm a bit bias. I'm not a fan of sepia in general and I especially don't like it on digital photos. So my obvious answer would be the color one.
05-25-2022, 11:32 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The sepia side of the photo invokes a feeling of nostalgia / history for me, which I like. However, the color side represents what is seen and has a feeling of being cheerful and pleasant. I prefer the color side of the photograph.
05-26-2022, 03:40 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I'm a bit bias. I'm not a fan of sepia in general and I especially don't like it on digital photos. So my obvious answer would be the color one.
There are two ways to apply toning. One (discussed here) is to give the photo an antiquated appearance. Another application is to make the photo look warmer without giving it an emphatic color, which is especially useful on digital monochrome because they tend to look cold. In the latter case it is sufficient, for example, to reduce the blue channel for only one point (-1 over a range of 0-255) to get this effect. This toning is exceptionally subtle, to the point you won't notice it at first sight, but it certainly works unconsciously. If you show the photos side-by-side, without and with toning, the latter looks definitively warmer. This actually also works on scans of monochrome film, because in all cases a B&W photo with all three channels R, G and B the same gray values looks a bit clinical.
05-31-2022, 07:51 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I prefer the color version, although I'm curious what it would look like with the saturation turned down a bit. I think I'd like the sepia version better if it were less sharp (or maybe just less contrast?). Just my 2 cents!