Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
07-13-2022, 04:52 PM - 7 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Old Truck
Camera: Pentax k-3 ii 

I found this old truck at an antique/junk shop. I did some color shots of it, but I kind of liked the way it looked in black and white, I would like to see what you all think of it and get your suggestions on how it could be improved.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
07-13-2022, 08:06 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
B&W seems the best choice!
A lot of farmer guys would certainly hate to see John Deere green on a re-branded Chevy!
From my own perspective, I sorta like the dark exposure--as if, in a dream, looking back on some slightly obscure memories of earlier times.
At least, that is how the image "talks" to me.
Angky.
07-17-2022, 10:01 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you for the nice comment. This was taken on a dark overcast day and even though the original color version looked fairly good, I thought the black and white would make it a little more moody.
07-17-2022, 09:47 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ye olde world look. Like the tonal presentation. Composition is appealing.

07-28-2022, 10:21 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The only thing that jumps out as needing a change is the slant right of the image. It bothers me, too obvious with the upright sign post which would be perfectly vertical in normal circumstances. I'd straighten it.
07-29-2022, 12:08 AM   #6

I'd bump down the contrast a hair and the exposure maybe up .3EV. Other than that, it's a great shot! Definitely prefer the BW over color.
07-29-2022, 09:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

mhrish,
Nice composition. B& W very appropriated. However it is a little too dark.
Nice work

07-30-2022, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #8

I would crop off everything to the right of the Texaco pole to really draw my attention to the truck. I think this would look great printed on cards.
08-11-2022, 10:33 AM   #9
Pentaxian

A good scene and day for BW conversion. Compared to say a BW film image that was scanned/edited in a natural way, this image is far more theatrical with the heavy vignetting, compressed tonal scale and clarity adjustment. It is a good scene to take in that direction with the amount and degree being a tough call plus taste specific.

But a couple of things stand out for me. The car in the background looks sharper than the front of the truck. Perhaps stop that lens down more than f4 for a a scene like that and/or focus closer. And the figurines are a little difficult to recognize due to lack of tonal separation in that area. There looks like several different views/angles a person could try and experiment with. A fun subject.
08-11-2022, 04:52 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you for the kind words and your helpful input. I had not noticed that the car was sharper than the front of the truck. I should have never shot that at f4, but even though I am serious about photography, I sometimes have a brain lapse that leaves me wondering what I was thinking. I agree with you about the figurines, but I was at an old antique store and was not able to arrange them to my liking and my composition choices were limited. I have a color version of this shot that looks okay. The figurines stand out better in the color version, but I thought that black and white was better suited to this subject overall. thank you for your helpful suggestions,
08-13-2022, 03:23 AM - 1 Like   #11
aki

QuoteOriginally posted by Lake Quote
I would crop off everything to the right of the Texaco pole to really draw my attention to the truck. I think this would look great printed on cards.
Ummmm, I would lose depth maybe
08-27-2022, 10:49 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mhrish Quote
I found this old truck at an antique/junk shop. I did some color shots of it, but I kind of liked the way it looked in black and white, I would like to see what you all think of it and get your suggestions on how it could be improved.
Fantastic! :-)
11-18-2023, 06:52 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mhrish Quote
Great composition and perfect subject for black and white. A little on the dark side for my taste.
12-06-2023, 03:04 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This picture definitely works well in B&W. Well done.
12-06-2023, 08:21 PM   #15
Admiral
Loyal Site Supporter

When we photograph we get the opportunity of picking a square out of all the visual chaos, and establishing a relation between the components that tells a story. And sometimes it is done with such precision, that every viewer can read it. This was picked out with such precision. Kudos!