Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2022, 09:26 AM - 4 Likes   #1

Cowboy Feels
Lens: Da* 16-50 Camera: K-3 ISO: 1000 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F8 

Went out for action shots of local rodeo practice and grabbed this shot of a friend. Edited in LR.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
01-11-2023, 07:00 PM   #2

This is very pleasing compositionally, but I feel like it's got a couple things to look for next time.

Firstly, focus is a bit soft, even at f8. It looks like critical focus starts somewhere around gentleman in the golf cart. Wish either your friend or the horse were critical focus.

Secondly, and this is the trickier thing to learn, I think: always expose for your highlights. Shadows will recover incredibly well, but once your highlights are blown out, there's no coming back. Better to underexpose your photos so that the sky detail is retained and can be pulled down without getting all...digital looking.

Keep it up!
01-17-2023, 04:46 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Architecture Quote
This is very pleasing compositionally, but I feel like it's got a couple things to look for next time.

Firstly, focus is a bit soft, even at f8. It looks like critical focus starts somewhere around gentleman in the golf cart. Wish either your friend or the horse were critical focus.

Secondly, and this is the trickier thing to learn, I think: always expose for your highlights. Shadows will recover incredibly well, but once your highlights are blown out, there's no coming back. Better to underexpose your photos so that the sky detail is retained and can be pulled down without getting all...digital looking.

Keep it up!
Thanks for the input. I agree with what you said about focus. This wasn’t a composed shot at all. I was actually shooting rodeo action with the light to my back when I turned and spotted this scene. It was one of those throw up and shoot moments. I would have thought AF would have picked up on the movement of the pony tail. Unfortunately, I missed I suppose. As much as I love my Pentax cameras, I own a 10d, 20d and 3, I have come to realize that the AF is lacking. Recently I acquired an original 5D (canon) and to be honest, I would probably rate that cameras AF up there with the K3 if not slightly better.

I can’t say that it would make a difference normally, because I would have taken more time with this shot. I’m also wondering if maybe there is some recoverable highlight detail in the raw file. It’s blown out because I had to bring up exposure on the bottom end. I’ve learned a little about masking in LR since I shot this. A different edit all together may produce a more attractive image.

Thanks again for your input.
01-19-2023, 04:56 PM   #4
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by danielbrown207 Quote
Went out for action shots of local rodeo practice and grabbed this shot of a friend. Edited in LR.
Very nice photo!

Was it taken during the "magic hours" - which photographers refer to as either an hour after sunrise or an hour before sunset? It certainly has that magi hour look and feel to it, to me!

Good job - keep up the good work!

Michael

01-19-2023, 07:02 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
Very nice photo!

Was it taken during the "magic hours" - which photographers refer to as either an hour after sunrise or an hour before sunset? It certainly has that magi hour look and feel to it, to me!

Good job - keep up the good work!

Michael
Yeah it was definitely within the last hour or so of light. Thank you.
01-19-2023, 08:17 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Yeah, the focus location is what is most glaring thing. Otherwise, it captures the elements and mood of the low light.

You don't always have to expose for highlights. So what if you blow them in many cases. You will get more shadow detail if that is more important. Lifting your shadows too much can results in uplesent color shits. But since you've applied a toning either for mood or to avoid acurate color reproduction, getting color shifts from lifted shadows wouldn't be as significant.
11-26-2023, 09:45 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Backlit shots are always the best.
Great photo!

11-29-2023, 06:49 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I like the color. Very successfully conveys the atmosphere of a warm evening.
And I understand that it is very difficult to control animals, but the angle does not seem to me particularly successful. The two main characters exist as if separately. A lot of unnecessary details in the background
12-08-2023, 07:11 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
Beautiful moment captured. Love the lighting and the editing.