Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2008, 12:54 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
would like some critique

Testing a new lens, and would like critique of my shot. Thanks.

Attached Images

12-22-2008, 03:14 AM   #2
Damn Brit

Can you give us some more info about the shot, lens, camera, settings, what PP?
There seems to be a bit of a color caste to the shot. It seems to be quite well composed, nice lines.
12-22-2008, 06:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Gary makes a good point. Technical details would help a lot. I like the composition, but I hate the JPEG compression artifacts.
12-23-2008, 07:28 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Here is the exif info

Hi,
Thank you to both for taking the time to look at this shot. It was shot late in the day, just before sunset. I used the Takumar-f 70-210mm lens at f10, 210mm, 1/25 second. Although shake reduction helped a lot, I did have to sharpen it a bit, maybe I oversharpened it, would that explain the jpeg artifacts? Also, the far background was in shade, while the foreground was not. As far as the color cast (a little cool?), I left that intentionally, hoping to convey that it was COLD. Maybe I should fix that.
Also, as far as PP, this was cropped slightly, and downsized quite a bi†*for the internet, and some cars and signs were cloned out, and the shot was sharpened as previously mentioned.

12-23-2008, 07:40 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
exif

exif data screen grab
Attached Images

12-23-2008, 07:51 PM   #6
Damn Brit

You should have used higher ISO and a faster shutter speed, that would help considerably. What mode were you using?
12-23-2008, 08:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
composition issues...

QuoteOriginally posted by Myoptimism Quote
Testing a new lens, and would like critique of my shot. Thanks.
I don't know about "compression artifacts" and such, but I have some issues with the composition: I see too much stuff on the left but too little on the right ; the diagonal takes the eye across the image from left to right but there's nothing there when I follow it and there's nothing to bring me back into the image; the equipment is either too small, or too large, vis a vis the image, plus it's the same size and vertical as the tree, so I don't know which I'm intended to focus on; and there are too many "lines" going at odd angles.

If these points are valid, what to do? I'd like to see another lower/tighter POV that crops right below the far trees and close to the left of the equipment, then have the fence line bring me forward. Not better, just different,
Brian

12-23-2008, 08:24 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi Gary,
I was using aperture priority. I chose f10 on a whim basically, I was just testing different aperture settings as it was a new lens, and I wasn't really planning any shots, but I kind of liked this one.
12-23-2008, 08:29 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi Brian,
I DO see your point about the tree right above the equipment. That is somewhat awkward. That is strange I didn't notice that when I shot it or after. I guess that is why I am asking here though, and I very much appreciate all the feedback.
12-24-2008, 10:55 PM   #10
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Myoptimism Quote
Hi Gary,
I was using aperture priority. I chose f10 on a whim basically, I was just testing different aperture settings as it was a new lens, and I wasn't really planning any shots, but I kind of liked this one.
Try using Tav mode, you choose all the settings except for ISO, I find that it allows me to experiment because I find that ISO is the hardest to judge.