Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-05-2022, 11:46 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A Palm and A Century Plant
Lens: HD Pentax DA 16-85mm Camera: K-70 Photo Location: Southern California ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/2000s Aperture: F6.7 

This image captured my eye as I was walking along a street in Southern California during our recent vacation.
Yet the image seems a bit strange.
I have been told that I see things a bit differently than many very excellent photographers. This might be one such case.
I'm not sure why my eye was attracted to this, but neither do I know if it can be considered good in terms of normal photography.
I would seriously like to know from other photographers if this is the kind of thing that is best overlooked.
Any critiques would be appreciated, if it is a worthy subject or if improvements should be considered, either in the subject matter, or in the processing.
Thanks in advance for any helpful hints offered!
Angky

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
12-07-2022, 03:09 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My opinion, FWIW, is that if it catches your eye/attention, it's a worthy subject. Maybe not to everyone, but your eye is unique to you.

That said, maybe a wee bit more sky above the top of the agave, it runs into the palm leaflets. Probably not something you could control, though.
12-07-2022, 11:23 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
My opinion, FWIW, is that if it catches your eye/attention, it's a worthy subject. Maybe not to everyone, but your eye is unique to you.

That said, maybe a wee bit more sky above the top of the agave, it runs into the palm leaflets. Probably not something you could control, though.
Thank you for that input!
Yes, I could control that sky. And I think you have a valid suggestion. In fact, I recall wondering about how much sky to allow.
Thanks also for your comment that if it appeals to one's eye, that is valid. I don't have a background in art (just snapping a lot of pictures through the years) so I don't know how to judge such things.
Appreciate the help!
Angky.
12-08-2022, 08:44 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You're welcome! I don't think "a background in art" is essential. But what do I know? Everyone has some personal sense of aesthetics -- what appeals to you won't necessarily appeal to someone else (art background or no art background). The comment about sky above the agave...my eye followed the stem upward and then <bump> into the palm. Seemed to want a little room up there.

12-08-2022, 07:14 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
You're welcome! I don't think "a background in art" is essential. But what do I know? Everyone has some personal sense of aesthetics -- what appeals to you won't necessarily appeal to someone else (art background or no art background). The comment about sky above the agave...my eye followed the stem upward and then <bump> into the palm. Seemed to want a little room up there.
Yes, as I was reviewing it after your note, I saw what you meant.
It is a good call and useful.
Glad to read your perspective on the use of art training. I miss it, so I'm always trying to find out what I should know.
But it seems that just catching the image in the way our personal eye sees it is best
Angky.