Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-31-2023, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
dark and grainy
Lens: FA 28-80mm Camera: ZX30 Photo Location: city park ISO: 200 Aperture: F11 

AV mode on the camera and Kodak 200 ISO film. Sunny skies with no clouds. 24 exposure roll and the last few pictures the mirror motor just made noise and the shutter blades didn't move.
Film came back dark and grainy for 200 ISO on a sunny day with no clouds. The first photo I used my very basic photo editor and only denoised it. The other two have no "tweaks".
Have replaced the camera........PZ20

Attached Images

01-31-2023, 02:38 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Perhaps more exposure would help on that dark and grainy part. On my monitor there is a purple/magenta cast to the images as well. Film or digital, a clearly defined subject helps to make for a good picture. Of course opinions will vary but for me I sit and wonder what are you taking a picture of in the 1st and 3rd images.
01-31-2023, 08:50 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Perhaps more exposure would help on that dark and grainy part. On my monitor there is a purple/magenta cast to the images as well. Film or digital, a clearly defined subject helps to make for a good picture. Of course opinions will vary but for me I sit and wonder what are you taking a picture of in the 1st and 3rd images.
The zx/mx series of film cameras and many had plastic gears on the mirror motor that fail after time. My guess is that the mirror wasn't opening long enough to get enough light. After a few more photos the mirror motor quit working and just spun.

The 1st and 3rd photos are in an area of a city park with dirt paths through the woods. The 2nd picture is of part of a rotted tree trunk broken and laying on the ground.
It had an interesting shape.
01-31-2023, 09:09 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dimeman Quote
... My guess is that the mirror wasn't opening long enough to get enough light. After a few more photos the mirror motor quit working and just spun.
Oh man that sucks. I have a Fuji GS645 with a broken shutter that I would sure like to have working again.