Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2009, 02:00 AM   #1
Damn Brit

First outing with Ext Tubes

While on a break last week, I tried out the set of extension tubes that I got as a gift. I used them with the Sigma 105mm Macro.
It was also the first time I used flash off camera. I used a gorillapod with a flash clip to position the flash. It works really well that way.
Any pointers you can give me would be appreciated.
PS, I also took some closeups of cookies but they weren't very interesting so I ate them.

01-08-2009, 11:55 PM   #2
Igilligan

Hi Gary

Oh, extension tubes on the 105 siggy... Can you spell 'What DOF'...

These are actually pretty darn good for your first attempt at micromacro coinage. I like how the off camera flash has worked on them. I have yet to use any off camera flash... is this a wireless set-up?

The first dime is my fave of the three...
One thing I would like to see a bit of is the edge detail. In that first dime shot, if the light had been positioned to spill just a bit on the vertical edge lines it could add some extra visual dimension to the shot. You did well on the ONE DIME part... the shadows really give it depth. Almost jumpin' off the coin. So to have the verticle lines leading up to that part... well you get the idea.

I have found the silver coins to be easier to shoot than copper in terms of color. I had a rough time getting the tarnished copper color close.

The first and third work best for me...

Another thing to try is to put the coin against different 'backgrounds' I had a shot of the edge of a quarter that was leaning up against and orange so there was a cool OOF orange background...
For me with the ext tubes it is more about how macro abstracto I can get...

I picked up a set a 'A' extension tubes, but the darn helios-44m showed up in a box from jay, so I only played with the tubes for a day or two. But they are fun. And I will revisit them soon, so we can have a "Tube shoot off' (oh, maybe not the best title) haha
Maybe even start an "Extension Tube Club" thread...
01-09-2009, 02:17 AM   #3
Damn Brit

Thanks for the comments Gus, they have been filed away.
I was triggering the AF360 with the pop up.
01-09-2009, 04:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Gary, extension tube can be very useful to do static shot like this one. You would probably find the view finder very dark and a flash is really a must in this kind of combination.

The texture, however, is what really makes the no 1 and 3 work.

01-09-2009, 05:11 AM   #5
Damn Brit

Thanks James.
01-09-2009, 05:15 AM   #6

May i ask what type of ext tubes you used ?

BWT - looks great. I like the contast in the first .
01-09-2009, 05:27 AM   #7
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by tomypreach Quote
May i ask what type of ext tubes you used ?

BWT - looks great. I like the contast in the first .
Thanks
ProOptic Ext Tubes, a 13mm, 21mm and 31mm. I used all three together for these shots.
01-09-2009, 06:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Gary,

Great first effort, I just love my extension tubes. I have a set for my M42 lenses and a set for my k-mount lenses too.

I would have expested something more like this from you on your first attempts though. LOL

Ray

01-09-2009, 06:08 PM   #9
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by sawtooth235 Quote
Gary,

Great first effort, I just love my extension tubes. I have a set for my M42 lenses and a set for my k-mount lenses too.

I would have expested something more like this from you on your first attempts though. LOL

Ray
Nice one Ray, I have a set of M42 tubes as well.
In the winter, coins are more readily available than roses.
01-09-2009, 09:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Nice one Ray, I have a set of M42 tubes as well.
In the winter, coins are more readily available than roses.
Yeah, I got these for the Mrs. today at the local florist (in the doghouse from traveling too much as usual) and couldn't resist a few shots with the SMC-M 50mm f1.7 and the tubes.

Ray
01-10-2009, 11:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gary, where you using all tubes 105 on your K20D in Manual focus? This is another path that I want to go down. What brand of tubes did you pick up? Does it really matter? What's the cost? new or used?

Oh and nice pictures by the way.

Thanks for posting.

John
01-11-2009, 12:06 AM   #12
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by skinja Quote
Gary, where you using all tubes 105 on your K20D in Manual focus? This is another path that I want to go down. What brand of tubes did you pick up? Does it really matter? What's the cost? new or used?

Oh and nice pictures by the way.

Thanks for posting.

John
Thanks for commenting John, to answer your questions, I don't know whether it matters about quality etc. I think they were about $70, ProOptic Ext Tubes, a 13mm, 21mm and 31mm. I used all three together for these shots.