Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2009, 07:55 PM   #1

The Past Is No Longer The Present
Lens: 30ish Camera: K10D - DA18-55 ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F9.5 

Hey all,

Every marking period in my photo class we do a "personal exploration" Mine for the year is Self-Portraits: Struggle of a Student

This is what I came up for the assignment. It is supposed to represent the difficulty of leaving my past behind to move onto the next stage of my life (aka college)

Strobist:
One SB25 fired into silver umbrella camera left. Sunpak 344D fired straight camera right for rim
Background composited in

What do you think? Any suggestions/comments welcome!

Here is another I did for the hell of it. I just liked the way it looked.

Same setup as above

Thanks!

01-12-2009, 02:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
some composition suggestions...

QuoteOriginally posted by AKiss20 Quote
Hey all,

Every marking period in my photo class we do a "personal exploration" Mine for the year is Self-Portraits: Struggle of a Student

This is what I came up for the assignment. It is supposed to represent the difficulty of leaving my past behind to move onto the next stage of my life (aka college)

Strobist:
One SB25 fired into silver umbrella camera left. Sunpak 344D fired straight camera right for rim
Background composited in

What do you think? Any suggestions/comments welcome!

Here is another I did for the hell of it. I just liked the way it looked.

[Same setup as above

Thanks!
Can't say about strobes etc, I never use flash.

I am, however, having a little trouble with the composition of the top image; there's too much going on and it's not taking me into the image very well: you're turned away from the camera (which isn't a problem in itself) but you're looking into the upper third of the image; you're carrying a very prominant object that is also pointing into that section; but the section you're "directing" me eye toward is so desaturated and dark I don't know what I'm looking at. Are you the focus, or should I be looking at the mural, or somebody/something in the mural? Are you heading in/heading out/ going to the post office?

Suggestions? Either punch up the mural (?) in the background or get rid of it. Lose the mailing tube, it's too dominant; and I'd do something about the belt; it may be au courant but visually it too is much too prominant.
Brian