Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2009, 07:17 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Boardwalk at Night
Lens: 35mm Camera: K20d ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: --- Aperture: F2.8 

Here is another one of mine. This was my first attempt at night photography on a crowded boardwalk. It was a rushed shot so I know I could have improved a few things had I used a tripod. For the shot I just braced the camera on a railing and balanced it out with the neck strap so that the horizon was straight. The shot was 3s in length. I know some of the technicalities that can be improved, but what do you all think about the shot compositionally?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
01-23-2009, 07:57 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the ghosts and I'm impressed that you managed this well handheld. Regarding composition I would crop a bit from the left to avoid that line running out of the lower left corner, and I would crop from the top to get the horizon moved upwards and away from the middle.
01-23-2009, 11:59 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Great shot Morgan!
As for composition, I quickly tried a few things.
Version 1-- cropped the top down to just above the trees, and the bottom to just above your signature.
Version 2---top and bottom as above, but then brought in the right side to just past the license plate of the car first car.
I personally like the division you've captured between the "action" on the boardwalk versus the "calm" of the water.
Maybe try again but this time move your camera more to the left to catch more of the water and avoid the "line" that Ole has suggested?
IMHO................
01-24-2009, 11:03 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sorry to say that this shot doesn't excite my brain cells. Just not much interesting to look at. The sky is dull, almost a monotone. The boardwalk lights are obnoxiously bright. The sloping jetty to the left lends a black wedge to a huge chunk of critical frame space: bottom left to upper right is prime real estate in a photo. And most of the ghosts are too far away too be recognizable as anything other than blur.
It is cool that you are experimenting though.

M

01-24-2009, 11:52 PM   #5
Damn Brit

There's no subject, no real point of focus. It just doesn't tell a story.
Don't be discouraged though, it's not the good shots you learn from.