Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2009, 09:31 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Critique some of my collection
Camera: Spotmatic2 ISO: --- Shutter Speed: --- Aperture: --- 

These are in my gallery but I was not getting much feed back, so I though I would see if I would get some tips and hints here on some of my collection.

I'm quite new (started just last year) at photography and I'm eager to know how to improve. I'm finding it harder and harder to find books in the library or courses to help me learn more on film photography.

So here I go...

My first time with a shutter release cable during the night. (agfa 200)

Experimenting with black and white film at the farm. (ilford400)

First time taking a portrait shot (ilford fp4+ 135)

An Experiment with a shutter release cable, a dark room, my partner and a laser pointer. (agfa 200)

the rest of my gallery is here: User Photo Gallery - Uploads Posted By Miserysmalice

Last edited by Miserysmalice; 01-29-2009 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Typo in heading
01-30-2009, 03:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm very impressed, and cannot offer feedback other than I like them all. Checked out the rest of your work over on deviantART, and came away realising just how much I have to learn!

You might find that you get more comments posting just under here, rather than the critique.

And post you Tak lens images here
01-30-2009, 07:53 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Like the lights in the first image. The curve really makes the picture.
02-02-2009, 11:13 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you both for the comments.

Dale: I wasn't fussed about getting views but more advice. As I'm still new at this I was hoping some people would 'critique' them Oh wel.. Thanks anyway you have put a smile on my face with your nice comment!

Jbevans: Thats why I chose that bridge. I was happy with the end result. Thanks for your comment as well. It nice to get positive feedback, though I have yet to get anything else.. lol

02-03-2009, 11:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Miserysmalice,

I am not the most talented photographer on this forum, but I may have the biggest mouth so:

Number one is nice for the strong composition of the curves. I would have left the shutter open a bit longer to open up the surroundings a bit. A slightly lower angle of view would have added more sense of motion.

Number two is a bit busy with all the brush and trash included in the frame, but the diagonal lines make it an interesting scene to look at.

Number three is such shallow DOF that the only thing really in focus is the sunglasses. The grain causes the skin tone to be a bit muddled. The lighting is very flat. A fill flash from camera right (or left) would have added some drama to the person face.

Number four is too centered. Try adding some dead space to the right or left to bring the illuminated half of the face out of the center of the image. Great idea though, very imaginative.

Just my opinion, I hope I was of some help.

Ray
02-03-2009, 06:52 PM   #6
Pentaxian

In my opinion you have a good eye for the composition and novely in your pictures. As sawtooth has mentioned there are a few technical issues to deal with. Your farm picture is the best of the series.
Since you are shooting with film it is a matter of slowing down and thinking through the shot more meaning take a look at your aperature; speed and focus. It might help to get a tripod that helps you slow down. I found I got the best critic of my pictures when I joined a local photo club. Enter a few local contests and talk with people.

In any case continue to have fun and don't worry too much what people like me say if you like your own pictures.
02-04-2009, 04:52 AM   #7

Original Poster
Sawtooth: Thank you sooo much. If anythign your advice gives me something to work on. I'm mainly working with the knowledge out of books (circa 1950-70) and then seeing what the results end up like. So thanks again!

Weatherwise: Thank you as well. I've tried looking in my area for a camera club or a course but all I've found is they mainly cater to people of the digital persuasion. *shrugs* Though I'm hoping to move soon so fingers crossed I find something in the location I move to. I just invested in a tripod so maybe it will help me slow down a bit and think about the shot before taking it.

Thank you both again.

02-04-2009, 06:43 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Although my camera club is mostly digital there are about 10 "filmies" at the meetings on regualr basis. I go to them when I have a technical question since they seem to know the dynamics of photography better then some of those who snap lots of pictures and then look at the graphs to select their pictures. Hang in there and learn it well from the bottom up as you are doing. A lot of us started with film as well.