Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2009, 12:08 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Want to make it as good as possible
Lens: 18mm Camera: K110D ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: --- Aperture: F22 

shutter speed was 25 seconds. I got everything I wanted on this one, the red and green in the stop light, and the moon almost the same size as the tree lights. But I'm very new to photography in general, I think I'm on two weeks now. So please tell me anything I may have missed, or any way to fix this photo. I don't have photoshop, just the Silkypics that came with the camera.

Also, I shot in in RAW, and this is the JPG in "highest quality" setting, sRGB. That's all I can think of, let me know if you need more information. Oh i took this one before I switched the noise reduction setting to "off".

02-08-2009, 05:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
traffic light sticking out of right side spoils the composition
02-08-2009, 09:31 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yeah, I keep looking at it too. There was a fine line between getting as much of the tree as I wanted and trying to keep that out. Do you think I could crop the picture to take it out? Or is it too far into the shot?
02-08-2009, 11:48 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Some cropping tests

Cropped it but changed the aspect ratio

Minimum cropping, kept the aspect ratio, got rid of the walk signal on the right.

This is the most I could crop it without losing the moon.

02-08-2009, 03:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
great shot your doing very well for new
02-08-2009, 11:58 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
great shot your doing very well for new
Thank you.
02-09-2009, 10:32 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Very cool shot. Here's my take on it:

I used the clone tool in GIMP (a free competitor to photoshop) to remove the distracting walk signal. I then used an unsharp mask with high radius and low amount to bring out some details, aka local contrast enhancement. Finally, I did another unsharp mask with low radius and a medium amount just to sharpen a bit.
Took maybe 2 minutes total. I may have overdone it a bit, but at least it shows what is possible in a small amount of time.

02-09-2009, 11:49 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Eric, that's great, that's the shot I wanted but couldn't quite get. I had GIMP when I was running Linux, but never really had much use for it before. Do they have it for Vista? I want to run Linux again anyway, but I don't have my external hard drive and have some stuff that really needs to be backed up before I try fiddling with the OS. Again thank you.
02-09-2009, 12:47 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Glad you liked it!
Yeah, the gimp installer for Windows is here:
GIMP - Windows installers
I've found it runs slightly faster on Linux, but it works great on Windows as well.
Also, be sure to download the FX-Foundry package, which has a lot of great scripts for photo enhancement:
GIMP FX Foundry
02-10-2009, 02:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hmm I will actually soften the picture instead, which give a little bit of romanic/dreamy feel. However it is totally a personal preference
02-10-2009, 11:33 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vizjerei Quote
Hmm I will actually soften the picture instead, which give a little bit of romanic/dreamy feel. However it is totally a personal preference
That's a good idea. I haven't even tried experimenting with changing pictures like that. I have a couple days off coming, I'll have to play with some post processing.
02-12-2009, 02:33 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Eric I just downloaded GIMP, I'll probably spend some time playing with it tomorrow.
02-12-2009, 09:46 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Great! If you have any questions, let me know.