Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2009, 07:16 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
photo critique

I hope its OK to ask some discerning eyes to give some constructive criticism of the following 3 images. I'm mostly interested in critique on the composition, subject, and/or overall impression. Please be honest - even brutal - if you must.

I am a renewing amature. I've started with a K1000 30 years ago, and have been enjoying my k200d for the past 7 months.

All the images were taken with the K200d (I think in Auto mode), in 10MP jpg format and spot metering with the 18-55 DA II kit lens. I should add, that I did do some PP with the exposure in Windows Photo Gallery software.

The fist image was taken at 18mm, 200 ISO, 1/350 at f6.7

The second was taken at 18mm, ISO 200, 1/180 at f9.5

The third was taken at 18mm, ISO 200, 1/180 at f11

This is my first time including images in my thread. We'll see if this works or not.

Thanks

Last edited by drjaxon; 02-18-2009 at 12:25 PM.
02-12-2009, 07:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love the shadows of the trees in the snow. And also am amazed that the kit lens did not really flare, even though you were shooting directly into the sun..
02-12-2009, 07:47 PM   #3
Pentaxian

#1 - I would have moved a bit closer to get inside the branch at left.
#2 - same branch distraction.
#3 - best composition. Says everything the first 2 do in a more pleasing way.
02-12-2009, 07:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

OK here is my honest opinion: The first two just look like a picture of a row of trees by some snow taken with a wide lens. The third one is special though. Something about that lonely tree across the lake from the others, adorned with the backlit shiny ice/snow on its branches and pristine snow in the foreground. That one I like!

02-12-2009, 08:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Moved to photo critique section.
02-12-2009, 09:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The comments given are very informative, but there are still some elements to consider. In photos #1 and #2, yes the tree branch is in the way, a disraction, not gonna beat a dead horse. Those photos also have something else in comon that needs to be addressed and that is the Rule of Thirds.

You did a much better job of it in image #3, you have the snowy foreground, then the stream and some more snow behind that leading to a grove of trees and the single tree in the front as the focal artistic element.

The first 2 images however have the horizon bisecting the image leading the eye in no distinct direction. Are you focussing on the trees, or the shadows in the snow?

In image #1 I would of walked about 20 feet to the left where the shadows seem to be more pronounced and taken the picture with 2/3 of snowy shadows and 1/3 trees and try to get as much contrast out of it as possible, maybe even converted it to a B&W photo. The scene as you have it framed is very unbalanced because of the open area on the left, there is nothing leading the eyes there of interest. If there were something like animal tracks or even car tracks, something giving that open area a purpose then it would of been better, but on its own there is nothing. The eyes WANT to go there but there is nothing to see.

In image #2 I would of stepped about 5 feet closer to get the branches in the top left and right out of the frame and tried to capture the tops of the trees and a little snowy shadow. I think that you would of gottena nice "V" shaped tree line in the bottom 1/3 of the frame and make that center tree much more pronounced and the obvious star of the photo. It is a much better photo than #1 IMO.

In image #3, while better in some areas, I think that shooting directly into the sun turned a soft image into a hard one because the width of the tree in the foreground is not able to fully hold off the brightness of the Sun as the tree in the 1st two photos did and gets cut in half. Nit-picking, probably, but you asked for a critique. I would probably of tried to get the Sun in another position or waited later in the day for that shot, perhaps dusk instead of dawn. Also, check your white balance, it seems a little more blue and halo'd compared to the others.

Well that is all that I have. I hope that helps or opens up more questions for you.

PS. I just bought my first K1000 last month!
02-13-2009, 10:17 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Just what I was looking for...

Thank you all. All your comments were varied and just what I was hoping for.

Buddha, thanks for moving this to the appropriate location. I should spend more time exploring and learning this web site's bells and whistles.

None of these 3 images were of my greatest works, but I had some "untrained" criticism - both positive and negative - so I thought I'd post these to get more "expert" input. I puroposely did not describe what I was trying to capture in any of these, so not to bias the viewer/critic. Its interesting that most of you caught on to what I was after.

QuoteQuote:
I love the shadows of the trees in the snow.
This was exactly what impressed me about these scenes, and is what I was trying to capture. The third image shows the shaddow being so crisp in its outlines and contasting so nicely with the snow. The first two images try to show the long tree shaddows reaching out and almost wanting to pull the observer back into the trees.

QuoteQuote:
Something about that lonely tree across the lake from the others, adorned with the backlit shiny ice/snow on its branches and pristine snow in the foreground.
These were exactly the elements I was trying to capture, along with, and especially the lone tree's striking shaddow.

QuoteQuote:
The first 2 images however have the horizon bisecting the image leading the eye in no distinct direction. Are you focussing on the trees, or the shadows in the snow?
Yes, thanks for noting his. I'm glad you brought out the 1/3 rule. I originally composed the image as you suggested, but at the last minute decided to try to get more of the tree as well. I'll experiment with different crops to see how the effect is. I was mostly after the shaddows, but loved the sun eclipsed by the trees. There was some heavy frost on the trees that did not get conveyed in the image.

QuoteQuote:
my honest opinion: The first two just look like a picture of a row of trees by some snow taken with a wide lens.
Thanks for the honesty. I don't know what it is exactly about the first image, but to me, especially when viewed form a bit of distance and on its own, it tends to draw me into it. Perhaps it the direction of the shaddows and branches all radiating out from the center where the sun is. I somehow feel mesmerised or pulled into the scene. I was just wondering if anyone else got that feeling or effect from #1. Perhaps it is somewhat lost in a smaller image, crowded with two others below it.

Buddha did mention the 1/3 rule as related to the horizon. I was wondering if having the lone tree in #3 and also the large tree in the first two images centered from left to right was at all a negitive factor in the compositions. Would they be better or worse if the trees were moved off center?

Thanks again, I will definintely take all your comments to use. And will gladly place more images here in the future!

02-13-2009, 02:51 PM   #8
Damn Brit

What Buddha said plus (I don't think he mentioned it) the first two are too centred vertically as well as horizontally, #3 works better because the tree is just right of centre.
Getting lower to the ground to change perspective and give more depth to the foreground would also have made a difference to these shots.
02-16-2009, 01:25 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Follow-up

Yes, I did change my Avatar. Hey if the Forum can change its home page, why not something a little more colorful for me too?

I can see what you're all talking about. I like the idea of going lower for a different perspective. Although I'd love to try that on one or more of these pix, the snow has changed, and I don't have software that can change the perspective on jpg images. I did do some cropping on image 2. Does this look any better, or is it still pretty bland?

Last edited by drjaxon; 02-18-2009 at 12:26 PM.
02-16-2009, 07:06 PM   #10
Damn Brit

Crop it from the right a little. The tree in the middle is dead centre, that tends to make the shot uninteresting.
02-16-2009, 07:30 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Like this?

Last edited by drjaxon; 02-18-2009 at 12:27 PM.
02-16-2009, 07:34 PM   #12
Damn Brit

That's better, it's still a pretty bland shot but at least you are making the best of it. See how the shadows bisect the corners leading the eye into the shot? Much better compositionally.
02-18-2009, 12:31 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Muchos Gracias

Thanx for all your input. Its like having a private tutor.

Well, I think I've milked this one for all its worth. I get the idea of composition to make the image more interesting. I'll definitely keep these tips in mind and work on those with my future shots.

I'm not so thrilled with the final crop. Something's missing, it is kinda bland to me. But, as said. I get the idea.

I've removed all the images to free up space in the forum and in my allowance.