Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2009, 10:07 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Rusty Farm Implements
Lens: 50mm Camera: *ist DL ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F2 

Hi,

I found some rusted farm equipment this morning and shot them with my SMC-M 50mm f/1.7 lens with a Tiffen circular polarizer filter. My first attempts at bokeh.

Ironically, I went out to shoot landscapes of the snow capped Mount Diablo, but it was completely obscured by cloud cover, so i changed lenses and found a alternate subject.

As usual, any constructive feedback on how to improve is always welcome. I just got the camera last month and lack any understanding of composition at this point, so tips on what to look for would be great.
Thanks.

Mike

[note, in replacing attachments with gallery links, #1 ended up at the bottom]

User Photo Gallery - Machines and Vehicles

User Photo Gallery - Nature

Last edited by mikeSF; 06-08-2011 at 11:25 AM.
02-14-2009, 10:10 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
a self observation that jumps out at me is that for the third shot, i should have stopped down one more click to 2.8 to catch the second layer of wheel spokes in focus, right?

also, the 4th shot is a different lens altogether, as i couldn't get close to that elusive yellow bird. That was a Sigma 70-300mm shot at FL 300mm, f/6.7, from hiding behind a bush. Birdie heard the fist shutter click and was outta there.
02-14-2009, 10:27 PM   #3
Damn Brit

I disagree with you on the third shot, I like it the way it is, I like the gradual loss of focus.The effect of the OOF blades gives the shot movement, I like that. If I had a choice of you doing it differently, I would say have the bolt in the centre of the wheel sharply in focus and everything behind it OOF.

#1 I would have probably moved to the right to make the perspective more interesting.
#2 I would have tried moving to the left to try and get that OOF plant in the bottom RH corner out of the frame. I also don't like that blurring on the horizon. Not a bad conversion though.
#4 is a cute little shot but I would crop it from the right a little to the edge of the wheel and a little from the top to get rid of that dark line.

BTW, have you heard about the Bay Area Meetup we are trying to organise? Here's a link to the thread; https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/gatherings-events-photo-trips/46369-sf-bay-area-meetup.html
02-14-2009, 11:10 PM   #4
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
Gary, thanks - these suggestions are most appreciated. I understand what you are saying and yes, good learning for me, thanks! I re-cropped the #4 pic - did you mean like this:
Yeah that's about it but a little more from the top, look at the top RH corner.

02-14-2009, 11:12 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here's another similar to the #3 shot which i converted to B&W. I highlighted the bright orange rust streaks (increasing orange luminosity in adobe camera raw) to give more texture to the foreground, contrasting it with the smooth bokeh of the rake "tines" in the background. I like the way it came out.

Last edited by mikeSF; 02-21-2009 at 08:30 AM.
02-14-2009, 11:14 PM   #6
Damn Brit

That one is great.
02-14-2009, 11:18 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
#2 ... I also don't like that blurring on the horizon. Not a bad conversion though.
i see it. checked out the RAW file and it is there and appears to be CA. Is that just a limitation of the lens or something i could prevent in the future??

thanks for your help
02-14-2009, 11:21 PM   #8
Damn Brit

It could also just be blur. You can eliminate the CA to some extent I think by stopping down a bit but then you have a longer exposure and more risk of blurring. Different lenses also handle CA better than others.

02-15-2009, 07:18 AM   #9
FA5
Inactive Account

I really like your first image! Great composition in my opinion.

I hope you don't mind but I altered it in photoshop to reflect how I perceived this image in a more vintage look. Hope you like:

02-15-2009, 10:35 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FA5 Quote
I really like your first image! Great composition in my opinion.

I hope you don't mind but I altered it in photoshop to reflect how I perceived this image in a more vintage look. Hope you like:
FA5,
that is very cool. I appreciate seeing an additional perspective. Now to achieve this, i am guessing you desaturated the colors overall and possibly changed the hue of the blues? yes, a very effective vintage look and i like it very much.
Mike