Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2009, 11:36 PM   #1
Forum Member

First punk show
Lens: 50mm Camera: K200D ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/45s Aperture: F2.4 

Out of 400+ shots this is my fave of the 80ish that were actualy in focus... boy is it hard to focus on moving subjects with a 10" DOF

This is a friends band and my first time with the M 50 f/1.4(which I'd just got from ebay a few hours before).

Other than the crop, this is straight from camera.

So.... what did I do wrong?

03-03-2009, 11:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jak442 Quote
You didn't post the photo.
03-03-2009, 11:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jak442 Quote
Out of 400+ shots this is my fave of the 80ish that were actualy in focus... boy is it hard to focus on moving subjects with a 10" DOF

This is a friends band and my first time with the M 50 f/1.4(which I'd just got from ebay a few hours before).

Other than the crop, this is straight from camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5:
It's YOUR photography, so do what you believe will help you take awesome-er photos
There's so much that's confusing about this... uhhhhhhm... hmmmmm... huh?

How can there be a quote from soccorjoe5 if this is the first post of the thread, and is there a photo? I wanna see the punk show - it's been a while since I been to one .

EDIT: Oh, I get the quote, it's in you SIG - Duh - weirded me out though
03-03-2009, 11:51 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hahaha

Thanks for the input guys... let's try this again.

Last edited by jak442; 03-05-2009 at 06:45 PM.
03-04-2009, 12:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Hey... Now I can see it - looks like a punk show. Focus looks pretty good to me - given the circumstances particularly. Compositionally, I wish the singer was more in the frame rather than hanging off the edge like that, and I don't like the large blur in the right foreground - It makes my eyelid twitch . I would crop out that blur on the right for sure (if it were my shot).
03-05-2009, 11:29 AM   #6
Pentaxian

i think the lighting and the vibe is looking good, but as a former punk rock guitarist, I want to see some of the other members of the band in the shot. The mic is about the only thing that indicates this is a band performance of any kind and the singer here does not have an identifiably "punk" look about him (looks like Larry the cable guy). I know you said you captured 400 images, and i am sure you got some band shots; i'd love to see more.

...as long as i am editorializing here, please allow me to say that as a convert from punk and metal into jazz, i believe PHOTOGRAPHY is by far the best medium by which to capture a punk rock band.
03-05-2009, 03:24 PM   #7

I go along with the previous posts. That is a good shot if you crop a chunk from the right side.
Richard.

03-05-2009, 06:43 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Unfortunately whole band shots were hard to get with the focal length, it's a pretty small club. I got a couple, but they're just no good.

I appreciate the input and agree that some cropping is in order, but I have decided to hold off on any PP until I improve my camera skills. I understand that PP is a valuable tool, I just don't want it to be a crutch.

Here's a few more.

I just like this one for some reason... PBR ad maybe.