Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2009, 05:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stairs to Nowhere No2
Lens: 43mm Camera: K100D ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F13.5 

A newer version of the Stairs to Nowhere, given the full over-the-top Silver Efex treatment just for the helluvit,
Brian

03-14-2009, 04:41 AM   #2

I like this. This is the second one I've looked at this morning that had the silver efex. May I ask? What software is generating this effect? I could probably read for another hour and find it explained somewhere, but am taking the bum path and asking directly. I'm not a real software guru but often like these different twists that can be given to a shot.
03-14-2009, 09:37 AM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good effort, Brian.
I get the message of it.
I'm thinking, though, there's just a lot of shrubbery and bare trees cluttering the photo, obscuring the subject, and there's a lot of blown out highlights with loss of detail as a result. Contrast is limited, so the B&W is not as effective to me, but the PP work adds to the mysterious atmosphere of the scene.
Thanks for sharing.
03-14-2009, 02:14 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I would crop the very bottom a bit more closer to the stairs and reduce highlights.

03-14-2009, 03:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Izzy...
I used NIK Silver Efex Pro, here's the link The Power of Black and White

I use it as a PS3 plugin Filter. A lot of folks says you can do everything in PS3 that you can do in the NIK program without the cost; that may be true, but it's much faster, much easier, doesn't require as a deep knowledge of PS and it has some features that you just can't get in PS, e.g., you can set up what amounts to a zone development feature, see what parts of the image fit into which zone, and amend them individually.

I do not work for NIK, or benefit from this endorsement,
Brian
03-15-2009, 03:15 AM   #6
Damn Brit

I really like this one Brian. I'm not that technical so I often judge pictures I like by how much they remind me of other interests of mine. In this case it's movies, this shot instantly made me think '50s B movies'.
If your shot had been taken with a much wider angle and from lower to the ground looking up the steps and processed with more black it would have been '60s psychedelic movies' I suspect.
03-18-2009, 09:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like the helluvit lol