Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2009, 05:48 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
This is my first attempt at a macro shot, be gentle. :)
Lens: 35mm Camera: Pentax K200D ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/45s Aperture: F6.7 

This is an untouched, other than cropped, image that I just took this evening. I am pretty new to the DSLR game, and actually it's been many years since I've done anything other than P & S, so I'm gettting back into the game.

I am asking for any constructive criticism on this picture as I really do want to learn how to do better. My fulltime job is going away soon, and I'm wanting to learn as much as I can about photography. It has been a hobby for me for a long time, but I'd love to make it more.

Again, I welcome all comments, just be kind.

Thanks!
Rick

03-18-2009, 08:51 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Well done on focus, I think you just need to work more on composition and perspective.
There isn't any real point of focus in this shot and so the image looks flat, it's maybe a little over exposed as well. If you had moved to the left so that the inside of the flower was part of the picture, there would be a much nicer perspective and more interest and detail.
You could probably get closer as well, this one isn't really macro, more a close up.
03-18-2009, 09:30 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks DB for the comments. I think the gallery pic shows it better though, at least as far as macro goes. But hey, I just got the macro lens today, so what do I know? haha!!

I totally agree with you on the fact that if I'd gotten the inside of the flower it would have been better. Unfortunately, it was raining and they were falling over at the time that I took the pic. I would have had to be in the mud to get the insides.

I agree on the over exposed mention. I will work on that. May even try to help this in PP.

Again, I do appreciate the comments. I am very new to this and want to learn. This site has already taught me a lot.
03-18-2009, 10:28 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rick, the main critique I would have is the lighting.
On-axis flash is usually my last resort in getting good exposure due to its harsh nature and flat rendering of the subject - just my opinion, though.

The subject matter itself is fine and Gary's suggestion would improve on your composition and general technique.

Well done and thanks for sharing.

03-20-2009, 06:18 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments/tips Ash and Damn Brit.

I'm learning a little bit every day with this camera, both by just getting out and taking pictures, and by reading comments on this forum. I have a way to go, but I have nothing but time...

Thanks again. Oh, the flash suggestion makes sense too... I'll "TRY" to remember it.
03-22-2009, 03:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Another tip I always feel works very well is the Rule of Thirds. To quote wikipedia:

QuoteQuote:
The rule of thirds is a compositional rule of thumb in visual arts such as painting, photography and design. The rule states that an image should be imagined as divided into nine equal parts by two equally-spaced horizontal lines and two equally-spaced vertical lines, and that important compositional elements should be placed along these lines or their intersections. Proponents of the technique claim that aligning a subject with these points creates more tension, energy and interest in the composition than simply centering the subject would.
More here: Rule of thirds - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What this could mean for your picture, is to, for example, leave more 'unused', unfocussed space on the left. I don't know why this works, but it does. It makes pictures alot easier on the eyes.