Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2009, 12:53 PM   #1

Great Blue Heron - Crop Opinion Please
Lens: 230mm Camera: K20D ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F11 

Hello, PentaxForums. This is my first of what I hope will be many posts here.

I have been asked to donate a couple of prints to a charitable auction. This will be my first time donating prints of any of my photos, so I would appreciate some critique on this one of a Great Blue Heron. I'd like advice on cropping in particular and also any other advice regarding recommended post-processing. I've already cropped it once in this version, so if anyone wants to see the original, please let me know, and I will post that as well. Thanks in advance!

P.S., you can look at a higher resolution version out on my website at http://lowcountrybird.zenfolio.com/p499050894/h2f44ace3#h338c3cf8.

Attached Images

03-25-2009, 01:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The original would be useful to determine whether or not this is the 'best' crop, but this is already a great cut-out. The only thing that would bother me is that it's a bit square (in the geometry sense of the word), so if there's more space left on the right, I'd've left it there.
03-25-2009, 01:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
The original would be useful to determine whether or not this is the 'best' crop, but this is already a great cut-out. The only thing that would bother me is that it's a bit square (in the geometry sense of the word), so if there's more space left on the right, I'd've left it there.
I agree on what Kevin is saying. Some more space to the right would balance. Alternatively cut a little bit more at the top (though I understand why you wanted to keep the grass straw).

Just out of curiosity: what't the background? It is soooo green! Water?
03-25-2009, 02:04 PM   #4

Original Poster
Here's the original...

Here is the original photo un-cropped.

The green background is duckweed on top of the swamp water. This was taken at the Audubon Swamp Garden at Magnolia Plantation in Charleston, SC.

Thanks for the feedback. I will be very interested in hearing what you think the crop should be on the original.

I was, indeed, trying to keep the dry, grassy plant on the left in the picture, which is why I hesitated to crop more off of the top, but I might play around with that more.

Thanks!

Attached Images

03-25-2009, 04:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

This is what I meant (I also added some light as your picture is quite dark).
03-25-2009, 05:37 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks, Kevin!
03-25-2009, 07:57 PM   #7
Damn Brit

Hi there, here is another crop suggestion for you. Hope you don't mind me showing rather than giving instructions. I think the vegetation at the top of the shot adds interest.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 04-20-2009 at 12:38 PM.
04-04-2009, 04:01 PM   #8
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kevin's version looks the best for me...
BR
04-05-2009, 06:50 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks, axl.

I decided to lighten my original crop up and get a print made via mpix. I used their metallic paper option (Kodak Endura paper). That really makes the green color pop. I like it so much I am actually going to hang the print in my kitchen. I think the lightening up suggestion works well.

I also tend to like the vegetation showing as Damn Brit mentioned (I am married to a damn Brit, by the way).

Thanks to all for your feedback. I think I could easily make three versions of this single picture and appeal to a number of people. A neat lesson learned if I decide to do photography as more than a hobby.
04-05-2009, 10:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lowcountrybird Quote
Hello, PentaxForums. This is my first of what I hope will be many posts here.

I have been asked to donate a couple of prints to a charitable auction. This will be my first time donating prints of any of my photos, so I would appreciate some critique on this one of a Great Blue Heron. I'd like advice on cropping in particular and also any other advice regarding recommended post-processing. I've already cropped it once in this version, so if anyone wants to see the original, please let me know, and I will post that as well. Thanks in advance!

P.S., you can look at a higher resolution version out on my website at Zenfolio | Back to Nature Imaging by Andrea B. Williams | Water Birds.
Great shot, and after seeing the full size I think the crop works just as is, but here's a nit to pick... I'm bothered by the dark line in the water that is right on the heron's bill. Maybe just a bit of PP to bring out the bill as on the example,
Brian
04-07-2009, 04:03 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks, Brian. After I got it printed, I did notice a few things like that, which could be touched up. Thanks for the complement as well!

QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
Great shot, and after seeing the full size I think the crop works just as is, but here's a nit to pick... I'm bothered by the dark line in the water that is right on the heron's bill. Maybe just a bit of PP to bring out the bill as on the example,
Brian
04-07-2009, 11:21 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i'm more for simplicity.

what about the following.

aside from anything else, it eliminates the shoreline, which is distracting, and is formatted to fit a page in the printer.
Attached Images