Amended images should be left in the thread permanently 685.71%
Amended images should be removed after 30 days   00%
Amended images should be removed after___ days (post number)   00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2009, 12:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Poll...how long is long enough for images?

This is really a two-part issue and addresses the practice of posting amended images to illustrate responses to an image thread:

One, is there a protocol about posting amending images to show suggested comments and criticism? Since we dealing in a visual medium, it seems the best way to offer C&C is to download the posted image, make changes and post that amended image to illustrate the comments...but maybe it's not welcomed by a majority of forum members?

Two, using that amended-image approach, should there be a time limit on how long we expect/would like to see those image stay in the thread? But does the thread suffer if the images are deleted and comments follow without those points of reference? Or even worse, responses get posted with embedded "quoted" images making the threads unnecessarily long and unwieldy.

Brian

Last edited by Damn Brit; 04-12-2009 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Corrected title
04-12-2009, 12:48 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Firstly, I would say that it is at the discretion of the OP, most people who include an amended image in their post will say "I took the liberty" followed by "I'll remove it if you like".
As far as your second point about those images being deleted and spoiling the thread, that's up to the individual. Site Supporters can include those amended images directly from their desktop. That is how I do it, once I have included it in my post, I delete it from my desktop. After all, it is someone else's image, I don't feel I have the right to keep it for any length of time.
By the time I have used up my space allocation and have to remove some images, the thread is old.

BTW, I didn't vote in the poll because none of the options fit my philosophy and because the poll comes across as an attempt to dictate forum policy when, as I have said, this is a personal matter between the owner of the original image and the person who edited it.
04-12-2009, 01:32 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If I post an image for viewing, such as when I get a new lens or just because I liked something I took and thought the Forum might enjoy it, a one-line comment and perhaps suggestions is all I expect, if that.

When I post an image or set in the C&C sub-Forum, I expect lots of comments and Criticism. If a respondent PP's my image and reposts it, Thank You, as long as you say what you did so I can leanr (the usual around here). As far as leaving it up, when the thread dies, kill it.
04-12-2009, 01:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I cannot vote in this poll because it's not up to me to make rules for the forum. If I thought having images in a thread somehow detracted this forum, (or some other problem), I would contact the forum Moderators or Administrators and politely inquire about it.

04-12-2009, 01:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Response

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Firstly, I would say that it is at the discretion of the OP, most people who include an amended image in their post will say "I took the liberty" followed by "I'll remove it if you like".
As far as your second point about those images being deleted and spoiling the thread, that's up to the individual.
BTW, I didn't vote in the poll because none of the options fit my philosophy and because the poll comes across as an attempt to dictate forum policy when, as I have said, this is a personal matter between the owner of the original image and the person who edited it.
By and large I agree; as soon as I do something I delete the original and only post the amended version and usually condition it with a "not better, just different" comment. I'd hope if somebody didn't want responses with amended images he/she would say so in the original post?

Now that I think about it, I'm probably going to add a line "amended image below will be left in the thread for a ___ days, then deleted to save space"... that addresses my concern about clutter and redundancy.

Again, just a personal decision, no rules implied, just curiosity,
Brian
04-12-2009, 02:30 PM   #6
Damn Brit

Moved to photo critique