04-19-2009, 07:36 PM   #1
Forum Member

Bel Air
Lens: 35mm Camera: Pentax K20D ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/6s Aperture: F2.8 

04-20-2009, 09:07 AM   #2
AlexD

Re: Bel Air

It is a nice shot, cool-looking car.

I think the background is a bit distracting, though. Maybe also add some "special-effect" filters and a frame?
04-20-2009, 10:32 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
aha... you do make a good point, the background is somewhat distracting, as far as filters what did you have in mind?
04-20-2009, 11:55 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Would be nice to see the wheels completely.

Guido

04-20-2009, 05:24 PM   #5
Damn Brit

It's the perspective that gets me, there's nothing dynamic about it, very flat looking.
A much wider angle lens would have been great for that shot, get up real close, no other distractions.
04-21-2009, 05:42 PM   #6
AlexD

QuoteOriginally posted by LSPhotography Quote
aha... you do make a good point, the background is somewhat distracting, as far as filters what did you have in mind?
Well, I was thinking like somewhere along the lines of the following:

- "Star-effects" / "starbursts".
- Motion blur to the background, or maybe completely switching the background.

I agree that some fish-eye perspective would have made the shot more interesting.

P.S. If you want, I can try my hand at PP'ing this...
04-22-2009, 06:20 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
Depending what else is on the car's left (your right) I'd have gone to the passenger-side front quarter at around 18mm for an oblique perspective. I say this because:

- you have a very interesting light source (neon) but, in this case, it is best left out of the frame so you can perhaps be able to better compensate for the fluorescents to the right
- there'd be other cars (at least one that I can see) to make the background more interesting - actually, with the building to your back, I'll bet there's a road you'd be facing (slow-shutter light-trails? )
- the 18mm perspective will help the background keep its distance and helps exaggerate the size of the car
- the oblique angle gives us both the opportunity to see that lovely engine and the body of the car and adds depth.

I hope this helps. Also, I have to say, I'm envious of the subject matter you have to play with, lol.

-Al

05-01-2009, 10:51 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
well luckily they do this every friday night with nice weather... so i get many opportunities to retry... usually though its a tight fit to get a nice picture, at least without the background being busy... especially with the many people walking around the cars. Unfortunately the way this car was parked the only way i could get light trails from the nearest road, would be to shoot the backside of the car. also im hoping to borrow a 10-20 fisheye for my next outing so we will see how that goes.
thanks for the feedback guys.
05-07-2009, 08:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If that was a 16-50/2.8, I would have taken 3 giant steps back and zoomed in at 50mm, to create some foreshortening and hopefully some DoF to blur out the background. I then would have taken those ginormous carb intakes and pushed right to the top of the frame - they are beautiful but right now get lost in all that stuff above. I love how they break the roofline though, that makes them even more impressive. I'd try to crouch down to bumper-level to have them rise even higher above the roofline, but then you'd risk other lights and distractions leaking into the frame.

As part of the reframing, you might also recover some of the ground in front of the car and the wheels. That might be good - a solid base from which this beast rises.

I'd also frame or crop it tight left and right, with the headlights pressing tightly against the edge of the image - almost as if the car's ready to leap out of the frame.

And finally, maybe a little fill flash to get all that chrome to sparkle. It might help create a strong pyramid from the shiny carb intakes out to the headlights and then down to the grill.
05-09-2009, 09:50 AM   #10
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The front end of the car could use more light. It looks like the shot was taken from around bumper level, but I think one from the windshield height would have been a better angle for the car. I'd rather slightly look down on it then looking up from slightly under it, as it seems the viewer is doing the way it is.

The background is not too bad, but I would crop out the other car in the background, because I don't know if it is or not, but it even looks like someone's head behind it.