Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2009, 08:05 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yellow Weed Eaters
Camera: K20D ISO: --- 

Just reposted much better copies of pics than the Gallery link allowed. Purpose of the 2nd pic is my untrained eye thinks the color, focus, bokeh and exposure are as good as i can get. How can it be better? The original posting did not show the pic very well. Thank you to all who are viewing and commenting.

Goslings about a week or slightly older I believe. I am working on my own trying to learn wildlife photography as well as photography in general. Fortunately this forum has been my guide for equipment as well as how-to. I am taking the next step here and asking for input on a few crops on anything you see I can use to improve technical or compositional approach. Thanks.

EXIF (both) f/8, 1/180, 300mm, ISO-200

Last edited by imtheguy; 05-03-2009 at 09:43 AM. Reason: reposted much higher quality pics than i could get from Gallery links
05-02-2009, 05:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You nailed #1
It is off the cute scale.
My only suggestion would be to fight the urge over sharpen. It tends to make the bill seem to detach from the head. This may just be an outcome of the depth of field of the original image but in that case I would soften to bill to lesson the effect.

Great shot in any case. You caught it at the perfect moment.
05-02-2009, 10:52 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with Joe. The first shot is superb. The second just doesn't seem to have the feel that it should. The [week..oops!] The weed growing through the gosling's neck doesn't work for me either.

Last edited by Canada_Rockies; 05-02-2009 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Really bad typo!
05-02-2009, 04:55 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you for your input Canada. I have reposted much better quality since you first saw it. No change, just linked to my own web space instead of the Gallery. I tried but did not understand the meaning of your last sentence, even if i figured in a typo for "week".

05-02-2009, 04:57 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
You are correct Joe in that I had a very shallow dof to work with as this bugger just walked up to 15' from me before mother goose coralled him. I did not think to rub some of the highlights off the bill or blend the edge of it to the body. Thats the kind of input I was looking for! Thanks man.
05-02-2009, 05:54 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Thank you for your input Canada. I have reposted much better quality since you first saw it. No change, just linked to my own web space instead of the Gallery. I tried but did not understand the meaning of your last sentence, even if i figured in a typo for "week".
Oops! I meant "weed" - I've edited it to read "...the weed growing..." and now I see he/she is pulling at it.
05-02-2009, 07:15 PM   #7
Damn Brit

That's pretty cruel of you. Cute trumps everything.
05-10-2009, 10:22 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Love the first shot! It may or may not be my new desktop background...

05-10-2009, 11:46 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AOski Quote
Love the first shot! It may or may not be my new desktop background...
I would not do that. Sure as fate, someone will ask you to sell them a copy.
05-10-2009, 12:44 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I would not do that. Sure as fate, someone will ask you to sell them a copy.
I'm pretty happy just to be here. If someone wants to use the web copy of the pic for a desktop I am most flattered. You are also free to GIVE it away on the outside chance that someone wants a copy. Selling would not be appropriate. Go for it. Thanks, Lee
05-13-2009, 03:44 PM   #11
axl
Inactive Account

the first one is stunner indeed.
Really superb shot
05-21-2009, 12:35 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree with the others, you nailed that first shot. Great timing.

It does still appear considerably over-sharpened to me, though. Two questions: 1) Are you shooting raw? and 2) How do you sharpen?

There are some pretty harsh flash shadows, particularly noticeable in the second shot. I struggle (without much success!) with using fill flash; it can be incredibly helpful but also really easy to over-do. It looks as though it was a nice sunny day, I wonder if you could have powered the flash down a bit and still got a usable f-stop/shutter speed combo. There are some flash geniuses on this forum, you can get some great ideas from them.

That first one is just too much cuteness...

Julie
05-21-2009, 03:45 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Foxglove, thank you for taking the time to review the pics.

To answer your questions, I was shooting jpg due to the sheer volume from trying different things to get close enough, lighting, dof, etc. I'm learning by doing so accumulated about 600 just to review on the monitor at night. On the one in question, I dont recall doing sharpening as detail was not my problem but if i did it was with PE7 unsharp mask and low settings. Good eye on the flash. I had to use my hot shoe flash because most of the subjects kept their heads down and between that angle and the hairy down surface, theiy always looked muddy even when focused properly. I was on my belly 10m from the flock when this guy appeared in front of me at half that distance. I am not versed enough to remember to cut the flash in that short time I had to compose the shot, nor did I consider the dof problem I would have at that reduced distance with a 300mm lens. Thats what makes the bill look so sharp compared to the body, i checked my original and its just as disjoint looking. When I reprocess it now, I will blend the bottom edge of the bill and remove some of the highlights from the flash. Thats about as much as I know how to do. Besides, its more fun to get back out there before they grow up and "do it right in the camera" as Peterson would say. So yes, too much flash, not enough dof but not enough experience to remember to change it on the fly.

Thank you for your comments and I am glad to see that your cat "helps" you set up for shoots at home. Mine too.
Lee

Last edited by imtheguy; 05-29-2009 at 05:04 AM.
05-22-2009, 12:26 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
I was shooting jpg due to the sheer volume from trying different things to get close enough, lighting, dof, etc. I'm learning by doing so accumulated about 600 just to review on the monitor at night.
Isn't that just the greatest thing about digital? I probably took more photos in my first month of owning a DSLR than I did in all the previous years shooting with the old K1000 and ME Super!

I was wondering about raw/jpeg because of sharpening. You're shooting jpeg, so the camera is doing the sharpening - I wonder if you've got it set a little high. I generally shoot raw, so I can't remember what the optimal settings are, but I imagine if you do a search you'll find some discussion on the topic. Seems to me the factory defaults are either a little soft or a little harsh, darned if I can remember which!

QuoteQuote:
I am not versed enough to remember to cut the flash in that short time I had to compose the shot, nor did I consider the dof problem I would have at that dreduced istance with a 300mm lens. Thats what makes the bill look so sharp compared to the body, i checked my original and its just as disjoint looking.
I wouldn't have remembered to dial down the flash, either! Wretched things, I should learn to use my properly...

As for the dof, that looks fine to me, at least at this size. The bill and plant are perfect, the eyes are just on the very edge - looks fine to me!

QuoteQuote:
Thank you for your comments and I am glad to see that your cat "helps" you set up for shoots at home. Mine too.
You had me confused there, then I remembered I had posted one of Ollie being photographers assistant. At least she makes up for being an obstruction by being photogenic.
05-28-2009, 11:51 AM   #15
Veteran Member

the flash is the main issue on the second one, not so bad on the first.

not sure which camera, but if k10d or newer, i think it can do wireless flash, so put the flash of the hotshoe wherever you like, when possible, and try to use a diffuser also.

very good atempts overall.