Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2009, 08:02 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mayfield Dairy
Lens: 50mm Camera: K100D Super ISO: 200 

Picture deleted.

Last edited by slowpez; 05-05-2009 at 11:41 AM.
05-02-2009, 09:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The constrast in subjects works, I would say. As for improvements, I'd suggest moving closer to the tree (if at all possible) and using a shallower DOF with the flowers sharp and the milk storage thingies blurred but distinguishable.
05-02-2009, 11:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Kevin, great advice. I really appreciate it. Susan
05-02-2009, 07:20 PM   #4
Damn Brit

Susan, I'd suggest the opposite to Kevin (sorry Kevin, it's not personal).
There isn't a great deal of detail in the tree, I would try and have the dairy in focus and the tree out of focus. I also think it is underexposed.

05-03-2009, 08:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK, I can see both points of view. My only problem is the underexposure as the histogram in Photoshop shows the correct exposure. I really don't know how to tell if it is exposed correctly if I can't trust the histogram. Gary, we are heading west this month I may have to look you up for some serious lessons - HA! Susan
05-04-2009, 09:49 AM   #6
Damn Brit

The exposure is probably right, it depends where you were metering from. This is where the +/- ev compensation comes in handy.
When and where are you going to be? If I'm available, I could show you round maybe.
Don't count on a lesson though, I'm going to school in the fall to find out how I do what I'm doing.

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
OK, I can see both points of view. My only problem is the underexposure as the histogram in Photoshop shows the correct exposure. I really don't know how to tell if it is exposed correctly if I can't trust the histogram. Gary, we are heading west this month I may have to look you up for some serious lessons - HA! Susan
05-04-2009, 12:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Gary, we are spending six months on a trip from South Carolina to, primarily, Washington and Oregon. We will spend a month in each of those two states and take lots of time getting there and getting home again. Sadly, or not depending on your attitude, we won't be anywhere near California. Let us all know how school goes. I've always thought it best to learn everything you can about how to do what you do. (Insert big smiley here.)
Susan

05-04-2009, 01:04 PM   #8
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Thanks Gary, we are spending six months on a trip from South Carolina to, primarily, Washington and Oregon. We will spend a month in each of those two states and take lots of time getting there and getting home again. Sadly, or not depending on your attitude, we won't be anywhere near California. Let us all know how school goes. I've always thought it best to learn everything you can about how to do what you do. (Insert big smiley here.)
Susan
Sounds like it's going to be a great trip Susan, I hope you are going to take a laptop so you we can follow your journey.

As for school, I'll let you know in about three years. Actually I'm thinking of doing a blog about my experience.