Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2009, 02:13 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
How to make this better ?
Lens: 40mm Camera: K20D ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 3s Aperture: F2.8 

This looks bad. How can I do this in a better way?

Last edited by matze_1; 02-03-2011 at 01:33 AM. Reason: link corrected
05-26-2009, 02:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You get 'burnt out' (entirely white) parts when the light is harsh and you expose for too long. I would give it another try with a shorter shutter speed. This also makes the surroundings darker (in fact, it makes everything darker), which would fit this picture better, I think.
05-26-2009, 02:22 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, next time sitting in the garden I will make more experiments.
Another option maybe HDR?
05-26-2009, 02:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I have no experience with HDR, but experimenting never hurts

05-26-2009, 02:40 PM   #5

Original Poster
I don't remember i had such 'burn outs' with film. Is this a "digital special"?
05-26-2009, 06:47 PM   #6
Forum Member

From what I've heard film doesn't blow out as easily as digital. Film tends to have a non-linear response curve at the top, meaning that doubling the brightness of the object might make that part of the photo only 25% brighter (or something, numbers totally made up). Digital is linear until it burns out - then it's done.

This is the kind of situation where HDR would make sense. Another option would be exposure blending - take one shot exposed for the brights, one for the darks, then overlay them in Photoshop and use masks to show/hide the appropriate parts. You can find lots of info Googling that.
05-27-2009, 12:21 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by breischl Quote
From what I've heard film doesn't blow out as easily as digital. Film tends to have a non-linear response curve at the top, meaning that doubling the brightness of the object might make that part of the photo only 25% brighter (or something, numbers totally made up). Digital is linear until it burns out - then it's done.

This is the kind of situation where HDR would make sense. Another option would be exposure blending - take one shot exposed for the brights, one for the darks, then overlay them in Photoshop and use masks to show/hide the appropriate parts. You can find lots of info Googling that.
Photomatix has a Highlight and Shadow option. I find it works really well with one stop over and one stop under for the two shots. The dark stuff is still dark but the light stuff is still bright. I did it for a NEF file from a Nikon D80 during the last photo course I gave and it worked very, very well. Shots in my Gallery photos.

05-27-2009, 08:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I applied a neutral filter in Lightroom to attenuate the blown highlights and adjusted the exposure and curves slightly. It is a bit noisy, but I think if the original had been a RAW file this would have been diminished.

Last edited by mithrandir; 11-07-2009 at 01:45 PM.
05-28-2009, 11:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

i use the autobracketing on the k20d (one-push, thank you pentax), and enfuse (exposure blending, i don't like hdr), imho, no need to mess with photoshop, enfuse is brilliant. here is a random example:

05-29-2009, 05:35 AM   #10

Original Poster
OK many ways point into the target.

So I got something to experiment this weekend.