Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2009, 12:28 PM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Purple Lily
Lens: 50mm Camera: Pentax MZ-7 ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F5.6 

Doesn't look exactly in focus.....Critique it all you can, I have broad shoulders and can handle it.

Attached Images

05-30-2009, 02:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, as you said the flower seems in blur. But I suppose it caused by hand shaking. I would move the flower on the right side.

Last edited by ohce; 05-30-2009 at 02:46 PM.
05-30-2009, 03:21 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments. I'll compose better next time. And I've got a tripod coming but have to get a head for it. I knew that didn't look composed correctly. I'm not new to photography just this forum. But it's been years since I actually have used a camera like this in other than family photos.

Last edited by photolady95; 05-30-2009 at 03:37 PM.
05-30-2009, 07:37 PM   #4
Damn Brit

I think shots like this are better more 'face on' so that the viewer can see into the throat of the flower.

05-30-2009, 08:25 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Gary. I thought that was what I was trying to get. Face on that is.

This is a trial run with the MZ-7, much better than the overexposed negs I had previously. And no specks.

Here is another on that same roll. It's more face on than the first one.
Attached Images

Last edited by photolady95; 05-30-2009 at 08:38 PM.
05-30-2009, 11:00 PM   #6
Damn Brit

Flowers are quite tough, you've either got to produce a faithful likeness of them or go for the interesting perspective. Flowers are also something that get photographed a lot which makes it even harder to stand out from the crowd.
05-31-2009, 04:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
pretty flower! looks like some blurring due to camera movement. I see it often enough in my own shots! Second shot maybe the same or just off focus? nice color, though!

05-31-2009, 05:00 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It looks more like camera shake than out of focus. Personally I like the composition, a 3/4 shot like that gives a good deph to the flower that many 'face ons' can acheive. Like the water droplets and the color. And unlike one of the other posters, I like the bud on the right. Nice bokeh on the first shot.

NaCl(just goes to show you that everybody has an opinion!)H2O
05-31-2009, 07:16 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Gary, I know flowers are shot to death, but I'm practising. More explanation below, the real reason.
Plus I have a shoot coming in the next month for some closeups of Orchids for my nephew, and I want to get it right.

timbo, thanks for the comments. And yes, I agree it is probably camera shake. These old arms aren't as steady as they once were. I bought heliphoto's tripod and am waiting delivery.

NaCI, thanks. I am usually able to get bokeh for some reason. shrugs shoulders
When ohce said the flower should be on the right, I was thinking about that and came to see it as if there had been something more in front of the flower it would give it a zoomed in look. Know what I mean, NaCI?

The flower belonged at one time to my mother, it's still here but sadly, she's not. So, I'm making a collection of all her plants, and flowers for keepsakes.

But I'm glad all of you have concluded this is camera shake and not my old tired eyes.
05-31-2009, 05:01 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

photolady:

Good project concerning your mom, and believe me I know about tired old eyes. But if you look at the top petal, you can see the blur, has to be either camera shake or you can always blame it on the wind.

NaCl(great excuse maker, the wind)H2O
05-31-2009, 05:05 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks, NaCI but I think I have found the problem. I always before used the diopter on my ZX-5n adjusted without my glasses on, and I had not used it on this camera. Today I was out and about again and decided to adjust the diopter without my glasses on, and low and behold things sure seemed sharper. I'll let you see tomorrow after I get this roll developed.