Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2009, 10:15 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Triplets
Lens: 600 Camera: K10D ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F8 

Osprey mania continues! A friend-of-a-friend has a back yard overlooking another osprey nest, giving me my first chance to photograph the birds from a slightly high angle.

This proud mom and her three chicks had just weathered a sever windstorm and they and their home seem to have come out all right.

Baby osprey are definitely not cute like baby ducks...or perhaps they're just going through an "ugly duckling" stage. Their appearance does tend to reinforce the biological theory that birds are really modern dinosaurs!

Sig

Attached Images

06-03-2009, 01:14 PM   #2

You don't really need CC on this one, I think. Lens?
06-04-2009, 09:34 AM   #3

Original Poster
Lens used

600 A* f5.6 on Wimberly gimbal head
06-04-2009, 10:38 AM   #4
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
if the shot you posted is not a crop, then there should be resolution left to crop tighter on the mom and kids, Id crop away the wood platform entierly leaving only the nest, kids and parent.
Its a great catch, the subject makes the shot here

06-04-2009, 10:38 AM   #5
Forum Member

My only critique would be that the background is quite noisy and similar color the foreground subjects, thus making it hard to sometimes distinguish what I'm looking at. Also, you'll notice that some of the only color in the photograph is the bright orange reflection to the right. Maybe a tighter crop would help draw more attention to the subject.
06-04-2009, 11:16 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for your input.

The photo is already cropped extensively. I may try cropping tighter but I'm guessing that I'll soon run out of resolution. I had made some shots with my generic 2X TC but the resolution was awful.

I tried to clone out the orange in the upper right, which is the reflection from a navigation buoy, but the result didn't look natural. The background is a river with reflections playing on the moving surface.

If time permits, I may try posting the closer crop and get your reactions.

Sig
06-04-2009, 02:24 PM   #7

Original Poster
Mo' cropped

Per your suggestion, here's a more closely cropped version. As I had feared, the detail is starting to get lost.

Do you guys prefer the original crop or this new, tighter one?

Sig

Attached Images

06-04-2009, 11:13 PM   #8
Forum Member

This is definitey better, but I can see what you are saying about the loss of detail. I do, however, truly enjoy this crop as it brings my attention straight to the animals and not to the noisy background.