Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2009, 03:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Let's go (declined PPG image)
Lens: 63mm Camera: Pentax K20D ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F8 

I submitted two image to PPG last week. One of them got accepted and the other one got declined. Since PPG does not tell you why it was declined I just want some feedbacks on the image and give a possible reason why it was declined. Also if you where to shoot this image, what would you change about it or how can I improve this image.

Thanks,

06-03-2009, 03:41 PM   #2
Dom

Looks a bit flat and it's have put the jet-ski on the 45 diagonal from the top-left. You probably could have used a small aperture for a bit more DOF.The blue haze isn't helping either. Apart from all the I like it, I like the fact you've shot it in portrait.
06-03-2009, 04:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm no expert on PPG other than being rejected: I'm 0:7.

There's too much negative space I feel - it diminishes the appearance of distance between the ski and the yacht. If you cropped to a 5x4 aspect with the jetski in the lower left quadrant and it becomes better for me immediately. It's very monochromatic (mostly blue) and not very contrasty except for the negative space that I feel doesn't belong.

I have no idea if it would have had any affect on the outcome, but here's an alternate view. Pardon my indulgance and I'll happily remove if you wish.

Last edited by Venturi; 05-07-2011 at 11:08 PM.
06-03-2009, 04:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sai,

To be honest, its a fine photograph, but it lacks OMPH. As the others have said, its a bit flat, but not objectionably so by my estimation. However, it just doesn't have the visual impact of what I expect to see in the PPG. Look to the photos you already have in the gallery and you'll see what I mean.

Best wishes and congratulations on your latest approval.

Mike

06-03-2009, 04:36 PM   #5
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with the crop that Venturi made, but even after it's still not OMG shot...
06-03-2009, 08:36 PM   #6
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Immediately upon scrolling down this thread, all that wasted space at the bottom was far too evident. All that dark water just leads to nowhere in the composition. The other thing is the shot screams filter. It's way too hazy in the background and the sky is dull. Try a circular polarizer. The subjects aren't very powerful, and the boat in the background is just too far away.
06-03-2009, 08:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the comment everyone. This was a cropped image and I left the open space on purpose. I guess that open was did not work well in this photo.

06-04-2009, 10:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I agree with the crop that Venturi made, but even after it's still not OMG shot...
x2 - first thing I noticed (and didn't agree with) was all of the foreground/negative space...
06-06-2009, 03:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

One of the things I have been noticing as I have been voting, is the lack of focus in some images...

SuperAkuma... when I looked at your shot just now, I was left wondering whether it was the jetski, or the lake + boat. I look for clarity and focus first I guess (focus in this case meaning a definite subject for the pic, as opposed to the camera focus) and then at the more technical stuff (she said, being an almost total n00b to this stuff :-/) tbh, I wouldnt take this shot at all... it would be jetski on closeup, or even just a part of it, OR the yacht, lake/distant mountains... but not all in the same shot.

Am I even making sense?

Going to bed now, ni'ni'