Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2009, 05:06 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
40 Acre Rock, SC, Landscape (HDR)
Lens: 12mm Camera: Pentax K20D ISO: 100 

Couple of shots I took this past Sunday at a nature preserve near Lancaster SC called "40 Acre Rock" (actually 14 acres of exposed granite). Shot early morning (6:30am) using the K20D and DA 12-24mm f/4 (actual shots: 12 mm at around f/8 I think).

These were 5-shot brackets at 2-stop intervals, camera DNG files merged to HDR in PhotoMatix Pro, tonemapped using details enhancer and saved as 16bit TIFF (ProPhotoRGB). Minor white balance correction and sharpening in Photoshop CS4 and then rez'd down, converted to 8bit sRGB and saved as JPGs.

Although most of my results were good, next time I'm going to cut it back to 1.3-1.5 stop intervals as 2 stops seemed to be overkill.

Wadda ya think? (first submission to this Photo Critique section so be gentle!)

Got a couple more coming of some nudes I did here....gotta get approval from the wife first

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
 Photo 

Last edited by tlwyse; 06-03-2009 at 05:44 PM.
06-03-2009, 06:24 PM   #2

Original Poster
I actually want to make a bit of an apology NOW before I get scolded for posting two photos together. I'll claim ignorance as I didn't read the posting guidelines until after I'd already uploaded my photos along with my post.

In the future I'll keep my posts limited to one photo at a time.

Regards,
Terry
06-07-2009, 02:48 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The second shot is much more colorful/ natural feeling. The first is just trying to shove too much detail into a single image.

I think that's why it's "one post - one image" around here. We can cop out and say "blah, blah, but I like #3 most of all." Not entirely helpful...

Specifics:
Image #1: looks OOF - probably misregistration in putting the exposures together (Photomatix auto-align can't get everything right); also the amount of range, as you suspected, gave you latitude to squeeze "too much" out of the scene. Let the sun blow out or the land go black - pick the 3 exposures you want to play with. Plus, the 12mm wide angle on the vertical like that puts too much emphasis on the foreground and not the potential in the sky.

Image #2: sharp, nice reflections, "balanced" tone compression. I love the subtlety of the colors (moss/ sky/ morning light on the foreground rock). Composition-wise, I'd crop it to bring the focus to *either* the sky or the pools. Plus, the little bit of "white rock circle" on the lower right and the smaller white circle on the lower left distract me.

#2 is definitely a keeper and could just use a little more trimming to get to "stunning." Good stuff!

-Mark
08-24-2009, 03:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I agree. I think the second one brings out nicer detail in the foreground. The first one's foreground composition could be a little more interesting.

Great shots though. Would love to see what the difference is like a 1-stop intervals.

08-24-2009, 05:12 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's all good Terry.
The HDR seems a little weak (or even non-existent) in the first shot - the dark foreground needed to be brought out a little more.
The second one nicely done, and sharp.
Good effort with these.