Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2009, 08:26 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Begonia
Lens: 50mm Camera: K200D ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F1.7 

This was either F1.7 or 2.8 - I can't quite remember! Anyhoo, I'm really interested in what everyone has to say about this one (it's one of the few in my collection wherein it makes me wish there were pro printing services in my area). I'm thinking an 8x10 crop would probably be more appropriate (lots of negative space at the bottom).

Right, so, fire away!

Last edited by MrEspie; 06-12-2009 at 01:20 PM. Reason: replaced with sRGB version
06-12-2009, 08:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You exported this picture in AdobeRGB and the colours look muted.

*EDIT* Now you have fixed the problem and I have removed my attachment, as it was no longer needed.

Last edited by ftpaddict; 06-12-2009 at 02:56 PM.
06-12-2009, 09:20 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for that, lol. I never notice because my browser's set to use ICC profiles - both pictures look identical for me.
06-12-2009, 11:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrEspie Quote
Thanks for that, lol. I never notice because my browser's set to use ICC profiles - both pictures look identical for me.
Only my attachment is of inferior quality because of Pentaxforums compression. If you would be so kind as to reattach your own, higher quality picture, that'd be awesome.

06-12-2009, 01:21 PM   #5

Original Poster
There, I've edited the OP so that it includes the happier sRGB version.
06-12-2009, 02:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Onto the critique!
I'm not familiar with the diaphragm in all your lenses, but it's best to pick the one with the most number of blades, so you can stop down without compromising bokeh quality. I say this because I find the depth of field in your picture to be a tad.. shallow. You've used f/1.7. f/4 or f/5.6 would have brought more of the flowers in focus, especially the petals that are "heading towards the camera".

Closeup photography can be a tricky business. I'm always learning new things.
06-15-2009, 07:43 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the critique! I'll admit, I could have gotten away with F2.8 or F4 without cutting the shutter speed too low, but I wanted to obscure the house and planter as much as I could (still have to do something about the teal of the door though). When I first took it, I liked the dreamy softness of the narrow DoF, but in retrospect the extra stop down would have helped.

As far as lenses go, the M50 1.7 I used has 6 blades, and only shows the iris shape in strong highlights. Next up would be either the M135 3.5 or the M80-200 4.5 at 8 blades, but the former would have required a close up filter which degrades IQ and leaves me with maybe 8 inches of foot zoom, same with the latter plus it has slightly lower IQ just because it's a zoom. I've been looking at some old Tak 50s with 8 blades and they're mighty tempting.