Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2009, 04:11 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SWEngineer Quote
I revised my retouch to honor your daughter's preference. Gotta keep the models happy.
Sweet - thanks I think she'll like it - soo much to learn ..... enjoy it though

06-15-2009, 07:15 AM   #17
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Stick to your original shot you posted, as all the messing around with later posts don't really add anything to it. Actually, forget the PP and stick to what you could have done during the shoot:

For outdoor portraits, I rarely ever use flash, unless I'm shooting a wedding, where I don't carry around reflectors and such, and I have some uneven facial lighting.

Daylight/sunlight is some of the best lighting you can get, and just a simple reflector or reflective surface near the model would have given it a better look than flash. A large gold reflector could have given you a better warm glow to the model's face, and also a much better catchlight over the pinpoint one your flash gave off.
06-15-2009, 07:41 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks K-9 - it was too overcast and tree covered (it was late evening with a bit of rain sprinking off an on) to get any resonable reflection of natural light - which was the original intention. Appreaciate the feedback.
06-15-2009, 07:53 AM   #19
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Oh, I see. I just make it easier on myself and not shoot under those conditions.

Yes, if you have to, fill-in flash may be the only way. I recommend getting a Lumiquest pocket bouncer. You attach it to your flash and you can insert a gold reflector, which can warm up the lighting. You use it with your flash pointing straight up, so there is some diffusing. I suppose if you were creative, you could make one yourself, but it's not too pricey. Here is a picture of it:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/544387-REG/LumiQuest_LQ_101_Pocket_Bouncer_for.html

I forget if they give you any inserts, but you can always make that yourself with gold card.