Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2009, 12:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some Urban Decay
Camera: K20D ISO: 100 Aperture: F4.5 

Hey guys, I would like your honest opinion on these two shots I took yesterday. I am very happy with the first one but the second leaves me wondering.

Thanks for your time,
Cory

06-19-2009, 12:58 PM   #2
Damn Brit

I think both of them look very flat.
Seeing as you're only asking about #2, I'll confine the rest of my comments to that.
I don't think there is enough contrast in the shot, not enough shadow. It's also too centred and I can't even see a crop that would improve it. I think maybe if you had taken it from a more oblique angle (to the left probably) the different parts of the engine would stand out from each other more.
06-19-2009, 01:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the critique Damn Brit, I will work on what you suggested,

Thanks
06-19-2009, 05:47 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I think both of them look very flat.
Seeing as you're only asking about #2, I'll confine the rest of my comments to that.
I don't think there is enough contrast in the shot, not enough shadow. It's also too centred and I can't even see a crop that would improve it. I think maybe if you had taken it from a more oblique angle (to the left probably) the different parts of the engine would stand out from each other more.
I like the first one quite well, however I agree that it could use a little more contrast. The second one leaves me asking more questions about the story. Could you have added more or taken something away? I don't know.

08-14-2009, 11:47 AM   #5

the first picture is great, the reflection on the window panes might be taking away from the frame and background. But it is very well composed.
the second picture seems a bit convoluted - I take a lot of pictures like that and end up not liking them because I wanted too many things in frame. I would center on the motor and have the rest in the background.
08-14-2009, 04:03 PM   #6
K-9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This looks more like rural decay than urban.
08-14-2009, 04:28 PM   #7
Mattferrit

I have to agree with the rural decay comment as to urban. I used to be strongly orientated in those fields of photography having grown up around abandoned quarry's and china clay refineries.
The first image to me, as a fine art photographer, is well composed.. the contrast I wouldn't touch, you have a nice tonal range and some strong blacks. The second I would re-shoot and reconsider its composition, that's just my personal take on it.
Keep it up
08-15-2009, 04:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

First one looks a bit odd with the vignetting and the framing of the window. I do like the second one though.

08-21-2009, 01:36 PM   #9
Inactive Account

I like the n1, original composition, good color