Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2009, 09:06 AM   #1
Forum Member

Gay Marriage
Lens: 50mm Camera: K10D ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F2.8 

Here's an illustration I did to run with a gay marriage story. I don't know how well it works. Let me know what you think:
Name:  20090709-8523-Edit.jpg
Views: 4248
Size:  20.2 KB

Thanks,
B

07-09-2009, 12:58 PM   #2
Damn Brit

I think the halo effect on the guys arm and where their lips meet is too uneven and bright. I think it might have been better if they had been bathed in a soft light (from above for example).
07-09-2009, 01:20 PM   #3

I love what you went for here. Love it! The arms form a heart, was that an accident? I do agree with Damn Brit that the light, although well intended I am sure, is not quite right. I think it draws your eyes to the fact that they are out of focus .. and whereas I understand and like that they are out of focus, the way the light brings your eye to the fact is distracting.
07-09-2009, 02:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very nice idea. I just wish I was open minded enough to appreciate the gesture.

07-10-2009, 08:51 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Very nice idea. I just wish I was open minded enough to appreciate the gesture.
What does that even mean? You hate gays, but love the photo?
07-10-2009, 11:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by branphlake Quote
I love the photo. I love the idea, I love how you've captured the moment.
I have nothing against homosexuals. I am against gay marriage.
07-10-2009, 11:27 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by branphlake Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
I love the photo. I love the idea, I love how you've captured the moment.
I have nothing against homosexuals. I am against gay marriage.
I probably should not butt in, but let's remember that no one said that they "hate" anything. Hate's just a strong word.

(I'm a big supporter of gay marriage, but my husband is not .. so I know enough to respect everyone's opinion on the subject. )
07-10-2009, 02:34 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm actually not bothered by the bright light on the OOF couple at all - it brings attention to the couple and to the almost-heart-shape (that was brilliant, whether planned or not), and I just assumed that the OOF-ness was more to illustrate their anonymity (or, to put it another way, that they could be anyone).

The only things that bug me are the setting and the magenta-ness of the flowers. The stage that they're sitting on doesn't strike me as being a traditional wedding venue. I don't think that you have to stick to the cliches concerning weddings, but something a little more directly related might help to make your point. A stage strewn with flower petals, though....hmmm......

As for as the magenta-ness goes, this is the second photo this week that seems to have bright magenta tones to me, and I'm starting to think that it's my (brand-new, uncalibrated) monitor, so take this with a grain of salt. But the flowers seem a little bright to me.

Otherwise, I like, I like

07-10-2009, 04:20 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deludel Quote
I probably should not butt in, but let's remember that no one said that they "hate" anything. Hate's just a strong word.

(I'm a big supporter of gay marriage, but my husband is not .. so I know enough to respect everyone's opinion on the subject. )
deludel,

Is that Annette Strean in your avatar?
07-10-2009, 04:47 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
deludel,

Is that Annette Strean in your avatar?
Hmm? I had no idea who that was, so I Googled her. Anyway, it's ME in my avatar. I needed one more current and have no good shots of myself, so I cropped/played with someone else's snapshot of myself .. I dont know if I like the result, and have gotten negative feedback on it. So .. does anyone know a good photographer???
07-10-2009, 04:53 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deludel Quote
Hmm? I had no idea who that was, so I Googled her. Anyway, it's ME in my avatar. I needed one more current and have no good shots of myself, so I cropped/played with someone else's snapshot of myself .. I dont know if I like the result, and have gotten negative feedback on it. So .. does anyone know a good photographer???
Well, take being called looking like Anette Strean a compliment! I like the photo and so would most Venus Hum fans.
07-10-2009, 05:03 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Wedding Work Out

Here's some other shots that might run with the gay marriage photo:

View Picture EXIF
Name:  20090709-8588.jpg
Views: 3210
Size:  126.2 KB
EDIT: There's a little motion blur around his mouth and her arms, but as I look at it more and more, I think this works as it gives a feeling that he's actually yelling and she's "workin' it."
View Picture EXIF
Name:  20090709-8596.jpg
Views: 2771
Size:  112.1 KB
View Picture EXIF
Name:  20090709-8602.jpg
Views: 2592
Size:  112.6 KB

They are for a piece on how brides work out to fit into certain dress sizes, etc.

EDIT: The second photo was not color corrected (at least I dont' think). It was in my mock pile of things to go through... the concept should be critiqued, sorry.

Last edited by branphlake; 07-10-2009 at 05:09 PM.
07-10-2009, 05:08 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K McCall Quote
As for as the magenta-ness goes, this is the second photo this week that seems to have bright magenta tones to me, and I'm starting to think that it's my (brand-new, uncalibrated) monitor, so take this with a grain of salt. But the flowers seem a little bright to me.
Otherwise, I like, I like
I agree with that comment. I played with the Vibrance in lightroom and found that it looks a little cleaner with the flowers toned down. This photo is almost straight out of camera (with the blacks, exposure and fill slightly adjusted for our press printer at the paper).

Actually, my models are sitting atop a table in the boardroom of the newspaper. This was one of those quick and dirty shoots ... pretend that the flowers were purchased (that's all I'm going to say about that).