Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2009, 03:32 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Overprocessed portraits?
Camera: Pentax k20d ISO: --- 

Hi... I posted these pics to the gallery, but I hope to get more feedback here.
So, as I'm not sure about my monitor settings, I might overprocess my photos.
What do you think? Too bright, too dark, overdone colours? Also, I don't know if I'm paranoid, but sometimes I feel like Flickr does some sort of auto-sharpening when resizing the pics. Could that be true?

Thanks.

07-09-2009, 09:34 PM   #2
Damn Brit

The second one is passable, maybe a tiny fraction to bright, it's a nice portrait by the way. I think cropping a little from one side (I think the left as she is looking to the right) to get her off centre would improve it.
The first one, her skin does look a little orange to me. The thing I don't like about it is the patch of sky in the corner behind her head. It looks like a slice has been taken off the back of her head.
07-09-2009, 10:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Looks good to me, a tad bit dark on the first, but nothing egregious. Can't comment too much on the color, as I'm colorblind but the saturation looks good to me. (If it's saturated to me, that probably means it's way oversaturated for a color-can-see-person).
07-09-2009, 10:17 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Decent, though I'm not sure they flatter the beautiful subject much.

#1 - blown highlight is distracting, she looks like she's been caught in the rain and not too pleased about it

#2 - hair's too much in the way (just my opinion - that may have been what you were after), a little more distance of the subject from the background would make the wall less distracting also.
On both, it would have been a bonus to have her gazing into the lens

Nice effort, though.

07-09-2009, 11:10 PM   #5
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
#1 - blown highlight is distracting, she looks like she's been caught in the rain and not too pleased about it
I don't know if you noticed Ash but it is raining.
07-09-2009, 11:41 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Damn Brit for pointing it out for the people...

It was a proper storm out there; raining like crazy with a wind blowing her hair everywhere. It was fun to shoot her as she was actually enjoying the rain and getting all wet!

I agree with #1, the highlight is a bit annoying. But with completely grey sky, it was really hard to avoid. I might try to do some ps-tricks to get rid of it. Or just crop it tighter.

But on the second one the it was the purpose to get the hair on her face. And also, despite the fact that there should always be space for the subject to look at, in square-format the subject should always be in the center. Balancing between the two, I decided to go with the latter style. And I like it.

And the person watching that girl usually doesn't get distracted by background. Or actually anything else.

And oh, hail to K20D, with the FA 50mm... It was soaked after the shoot. Works like a new.
07-09-2009, 11:53 PM   #7
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by sealisthenewbeaver Quote

And oh, hail to K20D, with the FA 50mm... It was soaked after the shoot. Works like a new.
You know the FA 50 isn't weather sealed don't you?

07-10-2009, 02:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Looks good. I found a great clarity to the images themselves.
07-10-2009, 01:28 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
You know the FA 50 isn't weather sealed don't you?
Yeah, sure. I actually had a homemade "sealing" (made out of minigrip bag and too supertight rubber bands) to protect the lens. But the camera was most of the time without any protection. And after the use I took the lens off and let them both dry properly.

Next time I'm going out to shoot in the rain I have to remember to take with me something to wipe the water from the glass...