Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2009, 03:36 AM   #1
Damn Brit

Bathed in the Glow of the Setting Sun
Lens: 50mm Camera: K20D ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/2000s Aperture: F2.4 

I haven't posted a shot for critique for a while.

When we were out walking, Pippin jumped up on a log and one half of her body was bathed in the glow from the sun as it was setting. I couldn't get her feet in so I cropped this to the top of her chest to make it more of a head portrait.

Aperture was 2.2 and Shutter 1/2500s but there wasn't an option for those above.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 04-29-2010 at 10:43 PM.
07-12-2009, 12:26 AM   #2
Igilligan

Gary, You are braver than I...

Being fully unqualified for critique has never stopped me.

What I really like... Well you know my feelings on Pippin. One of the most beautiful dogs ever to walk the planet... And I am loving the warm evening light on Pip, and how the orange light plays on the muted greens in the very toasty OOF area. Plus a good focus on a tough subject (moving dog)

What I would have loved for you to have done was to also flip to portrait mode and snap a quickie, where I could get a sense of Pippen up on the log... but if dogs are anything like kids (and we both know they are exactly like kids) then I realise you probably had no shot of the Pipster standing still for two consecutive shots.

And posting wpgtd... did I mention you were braver than I?

A question, did you have to push the pic in PP to bring up the shadow on the face? Or was the sunlight so muted that it balanced well with the shadow detail? Spot metered?

Nothing but love to ya
gus
07-12-2009, 01:14 AM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Being less qualified than Gus to comment, consider my contribution with due value (<.02)
But it's a tough capture of an unpredictable subject, Gary.
The lovely warm glow of the afternoon sun lights Pippin up well, but leaves lots of shadow on the other side that's hard to bring out detail in. High contrast images are difficult in this way.
A little more stopped down and Pippin's details would have come out some more.
What can you do in a split second? Not much more than you have... Nicely done.
07-12-2009, 01:54 AM   #4
Damn Brit

Thanks Gus and Ash, I'm touched by your poetic words and am therefore humbly prompted to respond with as much eloquence as I can muster.
A brief moment in time captured on the fly must inevitably be imperfect without the benefit of hindsight, for that is the nature and beauty of our random lives.
I didn't even think of turning the camera to the portrait aspect. The log is still there and there will be other sunsets so perhaps next time the opportunity arises I can try it portrait style.

Yes Gus, I pushed the levels ever so slightly to bring out the detail in the shadows but the sunlight was muted enough that I didn't have to adjust the highlights.
Yes it was spot metered.

Ash, I'm not sure if stopping down would have benefited because I think in bringing out the detail it would have become more of a snapshot and less of a picture.

07-12-2009, 07:55 AM   #5
Millionth Poster!
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
like the colors of the evening light and the attentiveness in the eyes of Pippen. A wonderful quick capture of a fast moving member of your family