Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2009, 10:50 PM   #1

Shot's from Devil's Peak

Well I'm at it again! I was just at Devil's Peak and took some shots. These two are the best of the bunch to me.

What do you think? Where do I need improving on?
No PP, want to get my technique refined some more.

07-25-2009, 01:19 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Impressive.
Interesting foreground subjects balanced by interesting scenic backgrounds.
Technique's decent, though lighting conditions are difficult - would appear even more dramatic with sunset colours in the sky and less contrast.
07-25-2009, 02:00 AM   #3
Damn Brit

Pretty good, nice perspective in the first one.
Composition works.
I think the second one would be better if the rocks at the bottom of the frame went right across.
You're finding some beautiful scenery.
07-25-2009, 06:38 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Impressive.
Interesting foreground subjects balanced by interesting scenic backgrounds.
Technique's decent, though lighting conditions are difficult - would appear even more dramatic with sunset colours in the sky and less contrast.
Yeah lately I've been having the problem of too much light. Especially considering it's supposed to be winter and there are normally clouds filling the sky.
Taking the photo at sunset is duely noted and will try some of those shots.

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Pretty good, nice perspective in the first one.
Composition works.
I think the second one would be better if the rocks at the bottom of the frame went right across.
You're finding some beautiful scenery.
Thanks Damn Brit. The rocks at the bottom go down on an angle and I wanted to keep the photo horizontal so the rocks got cut off. would you advise to follow the rocks even though they are on an angle?

I have been using a polarizing filter but feel that this isn't helping as much as I thought it would with cutting down the the amount of light. would you suggest using an ND filter instead? Am I right in thinking that they are semi interchangeable?

07-25-2009, 03:23 PM   #5
axl
Veteran Member

I think they are fine, though the first one doesn't do all that much for me.
I rather like the second one.
The only two suggestions to the 2nd shot are:
I'd try to go bit lower so the tree would be much more prominent agains the sky and/or I'd go (or crop) tad closer and use bit shallower DOF.

but all in all good shots.

BR
Peter
07-29-2009, 07:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I'd try to go bit lower so the tree would be much more prominent agains the sky and/or I'd go (or crop) tad closer and use bit shallower DOF.
That is my thought as well, I think it would look a bit better if the angle was better. Maybe try getting down a little lower next time??
08-01-2009, 02:02 AM   #7
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Kadachi Quote

Thanks Damn Brit. The rocks at the bottom go down on an angle and I wanted to keep the photo horizontal so the rocks got cut off. would you advise to follow the rocks even though they are on an angle?

I have been using a polarizing filter but feel that this isn't helping as much as I thought it would with cutting down the the amount of light. would you suggest using an ND filter instead? Am I right in thinking that they are semi interchangeable?
Like the previous two posters said, go lower and move back if you need to to get more in the frame if it helps the composition.

I don't use filters so I can't help you there. I'm not saying I wouldn't but I haven't had the need so far.

Call me Gary BTW.